[CTC_TRADE] U.S. lawmakers launch push to repeal NAFTA (Reuters, March 4)

adam at wetlands-preserve.org adam at wetlands-preserve.org
Sat Mar 6 13:36:10 PST 2010

Rep. Pocan: American Jobs Act Becomes Law

3/4/2010

http://www.ourlivesmadison.com/forum/2010/03/04/rep-pocan-american-jobs-act-
becomes-law

Madison - The American Jobs Act was signed into law by Gov. Jim Doyle today.
This act prohibits state government agencies from spending Wisconsin
taxpayer dollars to contract with companies that will ship those jobs
overseas.

"The top Democratic priority is protecting and creating jobs in Wisconsin
and this law is one more tool to help our economy and our workers," Pocan
said. "It is more vital than ever that our taxpayer dollars are used to
support jobs in Wisconsin and the United States, not companies that ship
those jobs overseas."

Pocan first authored the American Jobs Act three sessions ago after the
Department of Workforce Development contracted with the issuer of Quest
debit cards, which replaced paper food stamps in Wisconsin. When Wisconsin
residents phoned with questions about their new cards, those calls were
answered by customer service representatives in India or Mexico.

In past sessions Assembly Republicans refused to allow a floor vote on the
American Jobs Act. This session, with Democrats controlling both houses, the
bill passed the Assembly and the Senate.

"Made in America conveys a sense of pride, but now it means even more than
that -- it means an American worker is able to put food on their table and a
roof over their head," Pocan said. "I thank Governor Doyle today for signing
this long-overdue bill into law."

Sen. Robson: Applauds signing of American Jobs Act

3/4/2010

http://www.wispolitics.com/index.iml?Article=187582m

CONTACT: Sen. Judy Robson (608) 266-2253

Senator Judy Robson issued this statement following the signing of the
American Jobs Act today:

"The American Jobs Act has been introduced every legislative session since I
and Rep. Mark Pocan first introduced it in 2003," Robson said. "It is too
bad it took seven years to enact this bill, but I am pleased it is now law.
The reason it took so long is that this is the first time in seven years
Democrats control both houses.

"The number one priority in the Legislature is helping Wisconsin businesses
add new jobs, and the American Jobs Act is one more tool in our arsenal. It
ensures that our tax dollars will be used to contract with companies that
employ people here at home, not across the border or overseas.

"Outsourcing of American jobs has been chipping away at our economic
strength. I think unemployed people all across Wisconsin want to be assured
that their tax dollars are not being used to employ computer technicians in
India or factory workers in China. A person receiving FoodShare in Wisconsin
because she can't find a job doesn't want to call the call center and find
out a person halfway across the world is being paid by the State of
Wisconsin.

"Worker's wages do not just support the workers and their families. They
support local businesses, churches and charities. They support our schools
and public services. They pay for college educations and build retirement
nest eggs. That's why we need to keep these jobs at home."

To hear a radio news story from "In Our Backyard"

download  <http://archive.wort-fm.org/mp3/wort_100303_183001iobywed.mp3>
wort_100303_183001iobywed.mp3

 <http://archive.wort-fm.org/xml/iobywed.xml>
http://archive.wort-fm.org/xml/iobywed.xml