[CTC_TRADE] Senators want plan for Revitalizing American Manufacturing

Andrew Gussert agussert at citizenstrade.org
Tue Mar 2 10:51:20 PST 2010

  <http://www.citizenstrade.org/images/email/email_header_wi.jpg>
  <http://www.citizenstrade.org/images/email/header_thin.jpg>

I'm writing to congratulate you, and to ask
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=1&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1034%2Fimages%2F537%2Ffavicon.ico>
for your help.

Because of your hard work, coupled with the advocacy of
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=2&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fwww.ourlivesmadison.com%2Fforum%2F2010%2F03%2F04%2Frep-pocan-america
n-jobs-act-becomes-law> Representative Pocan,
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=3&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fwww.legis.wi.gov%2Fsenate%2Fsen15%2Fnews%2FPress%2F2010%2Fpr2010-010
.asp> Senator Robson and the many supporters of the American Jobs Act, the
bill was finally signed into law earlier this week. It will prohibit state
government agencies from spending taxpayer dollars to contract with
companies that ship jobs overseas.

Pocan and Robson first authored the American Jobs Act three sessions ago
after the Department of Workforce Development contracted with Quest debit
cards, which replaced paper food stamps in Wisconsin. When Wisconsin
residents phoned with questions about their cards, those calls were answered
by customer service representatives in India or Mexico.

Because of your tenacity, and because fair trade advocates finally took
power in state government, we were successful in passing this law after
seven years.

But there is still more work to do.

We need your help to
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=4&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1034%2Fimages%2F537%2Ffavicon.ico>
turn around trade policy at the federal level.

We need you to contact Senator Kohl, and ask him to cosponsor S.2821, the
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=5&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fwww.citizenstrade.org%2Ftradeact.php> Trade Reform, Accountability,
Development and Employment (TRADE) Act, which marks out the needed policy
space for a more balanced way to expand trade.

Over the past year, more than 135 members of the U.S. House have already
cosponsored this landmark legislation, including a majority of the majority
party.

But Senator Kohl has not.

Please
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=6&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1034%2Fimages%2F537%2Ffavicon.ico>
email, call or fax Senator Kohl today, and request he join Senator Feingold
-- and Representatives Baldwin, Moore and Kagen -- in cosponsoring this
progressive vision for future trade agreements.

Here are three different ways to
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=7&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1034%2Fimages%2F537%2Ffavicon.ico>
reach Senator Kohl:

1) Contact him
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=8&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1034%2Fimages%2F537%2Ffavicon.ico>
using our internet form.  Personalize a message based his pledge to protect
food safety, which he called one of the most important issues of 2009.

2) Contact Senator Kohl by phone. Call (202) 224-3121 and ask the
switchboard operator to connect you to his office. Ask confidently to speak
to the "Trade staff person", and request the Senator cosponsor the Trade Act
(S.2821). Be sure to leave your address.

3) Contact your member by mail. If you want to go old school, visit
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=9&url=http%
3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fdia%2Ftrack.jsp%3Fkey%3D-1%26amp%3Burl
_num%3D3%26amp%3Burl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.congress.org%252F>
www.congress.org to send paper snail mail. Type in your zip code, click on
senate, and go to the "contact" tab. Send a postcard or letter to the
Washington D.C. postal address.

Sample Message

Dear Senator Kohl,

Like you, I support responsible trade between the United States and other
countries, but our current system has not worked, has not met past promises,
and has not served the interests of a majority of working people in our
country, or the world.

Please join Senator Feingold and over 135 of your congressional colleagues,
from both parties, who are cosponsoring the House Trade Reform,
Accountability, Development and Employment (TRADE) Act. This bill frames a
bold new debate, marking out policy space for a more balanced way to expand
trade.

Past free trade pacts such as the North American Free Trade Agreement
(NAFTA) are not actually free, and have come at great costs. The price we
pay in unhealthy food imports, offshoring of jobs, downward pressure on
wages, loss of farms and damage to our environment is far too great.

The Senate TRADE Act maps a fair path forward, explaining what we can all
support in a good agreement. First put forward in 2008, this bill has the
institutional backing of hundreds of diverse faith, farm, labor and
environmental organizations from across the country.

As a constituent, I strongly urge you to sign up as a cosponsor of S.2821,
and send me a letter confirming that you have done so. To join on to the
TRADE act, email Chris Slevin (Chris_Slevin at brown.senate.gov) in the office
of Senator Brown today.

To unsubscribe from the Wisconsin Fair Trade Coalition list please click
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=10&url=http
.jsp> here