[CTC_TRADE] US trade report lukewarm on Colombia FTA

Andrew Gussert agussert at citizenstrade.org
Wed Mar 3 07:06:37 PST 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 10, 2010

CONTACT:

Ed Gilman (Michaud), 202-225-6306

Vince Morris (Slaughter), 202-225-9091

Michaud Leads Positive Discussion with United States Trade Rep. Ron Kirk

WASHINGTON, DC - Today, Representative Mike Michaud (D-ME), Chairman of
the House Trade Working Group (HTWG), joined with Representative Louise
M. Slaughter (D-NY) and other HTWG members in a bipartisan meeting with
United States Trade Representative Ron Kirk regarding continuation of
U.S participation in talks for a Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade
Agreement with Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, New Zealand,
Singapore, and Vietnam.  A photo of the meeting is attached.

"The meeting was an encouraging sign that this Administration is
committed to consulting with Congress on their trade agenda," said
Michaud.  "We believe it is critical to approach these negotiations as
an opportunity to redefine and redirect U.S. trade policy.  We must
replace the failed policies of the past with those that deliver good
paying jobs for American workers and a level playing field for our
businesses."

The meeting focused on the House Trade Working Group's key issues, which
include labor and environmental standards, food safety and agricultural
terms, procurement rules, democracy clauses, services deregulation,
access to medicines, and foreign investor rights.

"Our goal here today was to begin to find a path forward in achieving
reform of our trade policy, and I think our discussion was very
positive," said Slaughter. "But a lot more is needed than words. If
other countries are going to try and get their foot in the door for
expanded trade here than these nations must respond by opening their
markets to the United States. There must be fair and reasonable
reciprocal access to all markets to bring our trade policy to a place
where workers are not the primary losers."

During the meeting, the House Trade Working Group also discussed the
benefits of the Trade Reform, Accountability, Development, and
Employment Act (TRADE), which now has 133 co-sponsors in the House of
Representatives.  A summary of the legislation is below.

H.R. 3012, the TRADE Act

Summary of the bill:

*        The bill requires the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to
conduct a comprehensive review of the major trade pacts that comprise
the model on which U.S. trade agreement have been based, such as NAFTA,
WTO, Jordan, and CAFTA. The GAO must also report on how the current
pacts measure up to the bill's criteria with respect to what must and
must not be included in trade pacts.

*        The bill spells out what should be in trade agreements
including standards on: labor, environment, food and product safety,
agriculture, human rights, currency anti-manipulation rules, national
security, procurement, investment

*        The bill also lists issues that should NOT be in trade
agreements including: bans on Buy America, bans on anti-sweatshop rules,
new rights for foreign investors to promote off-shoring, service sector
privatization and deregulation requirements, special protections for
pharmaceutical companies that limit affordable access to drugs.

*        Renegotiation: The bill require the president to submit
renegotiation plans for current trade pacts prior to negotiating new
agreements and prior to congressional consideration of pending
agreements.

*        Establishes a Super Committee: The bill establishes a special
congressional super committee chaired by the Ways and Means and Finance
Committee chairs to work with the President on formulating this plan.
The super committee also includes a role for the chairs and ranking
members of other committees whose core jurisdiction is directly affected
by today's expansive trade pacts.

*        Replacing Fast Track: The bill lays out criteria for a new
mechanism to replace the anti-democratic Fast Track negotiating process.
To obtain agreements that benefit a wider array of interests, this new
process includes Congress setting readiness criteria to select future
negotiating partners; mandatory negotiating objectives based on the
bill's criteria of what must be and must not be in future trade pacts;
and the requirements that Congress must certify that the objectives were
met, and then vote on an agreement before it can be signed.

# # #