[CTC] OY!! Colombia want to join TPP trade talks talks!!

Lori Wallach LWALLACH at citizen.org
Mon Mar 22 16:51:42 PDT 2010

Proposed Pacific trade agreement must deliver for

workers, jobs and the environment, say unions

A proposed trans-Pacific trade agreement must create good jobs and protect
the rights and

interests of working people, say unions.

Negotiations for the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement must
also lead to long term

and balanced economic development, and promote a healthy and sustainable
environment,

said the ACTU.

Negotiations for the proposed agreement between Australia, the United
States, New Zealand,

Chile, Peru, Singapore, Vietnam and Brunei Darussalam will begin today.

The peak union bodies from Australia, the US, New Zealand and Singapore
today released an

historic joint declaration on an agreed set of principles under which they
believe the negotiations

should proceed.

ACTU President Sharan Burrow said the proposed agreement must deliver more
for working

people in all the nations than previous free trade agreements have done.

"We cannot afford another trade agreement that opens the doors for
investment and profits by

big multinational corporations but fails to create good jobs for workers,"
Ms Burrow said.

"We would oppose any trade agreement where the Pacific island economies were
not clear

beneficiaries. Throughout the negotiations, the participating governments
must adopt a job lens

through which all decisions must contribute to the promotion of high-quality
jobs and sustainable

economic development among the member nations.

"Unions understand that fair international trade is a major driver of
economic growth and

prosperity in both developed and developing nations.

"Trade can also be a catalyst for better human rights and environmental
standards in developing

countries. But it must be fair and if it is to have our support, the Pacific
trade agreement must be

well balanced, create good jobs, protect labour rights, and lead to both
sustainable economic

development and a healthy environment."

Ms Burrow said there must be consultation with community representatives,
including unions,

who should not be shut out of negotiations.

"Labour rights are an essential component of trade, and we want to ensure
that any benefits flow

through to workers and not just the profits of big corporations," Ms Burrow
said.

"Any agreement must adopt and maintain core internationally-recognised
labour rights, including

collective bargaining. Protection of the environment is also a critical
trade policy objective."

Ms Burrow said other core principles outlined in the joint unions' statement
included protecting

essential public services, including education, health, post, social
services, transport and utilities.

The proposed agreement cannot over-ride domestic government procurement
policies to promote

local economic development, job creation and environmental and social goals.

And while there may be legitimate reasons for some measures to protect
health, public safety and

the environment, it must lead to equal and balanced market access to the
member countries.

Media contact:

Mark Phillips ph (03) 8676 7266 or 0422 009 011 mphillips at actu.org.au