[CTC] Polling on Jobs, Trade, Exports, Immigration and China

Citizens Trade Campaign trade.brigade at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 08:52:57 PDT 2010

It’s all about the Economy, and Jobs.

March 19-22, 2010

Bloomberg Poll conducted by Selzer & Co. N=1,002 adults nationwide. MoE ±
3.1.

"Which of the following do you see as the most important issue facing the
country right now: the economy, health care, government spending and the
federal deficit, the war in Afghanistan, unemployment?" Options rotated

1.	The economy 31
2.	Health care 22
3.	Spending and the deficit 20
4.	Unemployment 19
5.	The war in Afghanistan 5
6.	Unsure 3

March 2010

What do you think is the most important problem facing this country today?

[Open-ended]

Recent trend:

Mar
4-7,
2010

Feb
1-3,
2010

Jan
8-10,
2010

ECONOMIC PROBLEMS (NET)

66

72

57

1

Unemployment/Jobs

31

31

22

2

Economy in general

24

31

25

3

Federal budget deficit/Federal debt

8

11

6

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1675/Most-Important-Problem.aspx

March 5, 2010

Polls: Americans Remain Worried About Job Loss

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-6269927-503544.html

Feb. 5-10, 2010

CBS News/New York Times Poll.. N=1,084 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"What do you think is the most important problem facing this country today?"

Open-ended

1.	Economy/Jobs 52
2.	Health care 13
3.	Budget deficit/National debt 4
4.	War/Iraq/Afghanistan 3
5.	Big government/Bureaucracy3
6.	Defense/Military2

January 2010 Gallap Analysis

Obama SOTU: "Jobs must be our No. 1 focus in 2010."

The percentage of Americans mentioning jobs or unemployment as the nation's
most important problem is
<http://www.gallup.com/poll/125408/Americans-State-Nation-Better-Not-Great.a
spx>  double today what it was a year ago (22% vs. 11%) and now nearly ties
mentions of the economy in general as the perceived top problem. Assessments
of the job market are bleak and have been so for a long time. Only 9%
<http://www.gallup.com/poll/125411/Americans-Agree-Quality-Jobs-Remain-Hard-
Find.aspx>  of Americans say now is a good time to find a quality job.
Gallup's Job Creation Index is
<http://www.gallup.com/poll/122840/Gallup-Daily-Economic-Indexes.aspx>
essentially the same now as it was when Obama took office, with no sign of
meaningful job growth.

Obama SOTU: Export and Trade

Obama: "Third, we need to export more of our goods. Because the more
products we make and sell to other countries, the more jobs we support right
here in America. So tonight, we set a new goal: We will double our exports
over the next five years
 To help meet this goal, we're launching a
National Export Initiative."

In recent years, Americans have been more likely to view foreign trade as
<http://www.gallup.com/poll/115240/Americans-Negative-Positive-Foreign-Trade
.aspx>  a threat to the economy from foreign imports than as an opportunity
to increase U.S. exports. Before that, however, Americans generally took the
latter view.

December 3, 2009

U.S. Seen as Less Important, China as More Powerful

Isolationist Sentiment Surges to Four-Decade High

http://people-press.org/report/569/americas-place-in-the-world

September 2009

Most Mexicans See Better Life in U.S. - One-In-Three Would Migrate

Troubled by Crime, the Economy, Drugs and Corruption

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=266

-Andy  Gussert

skype/agussert
facebook/gussert