[CTC] Joint Statement of TPP Ministers

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Sun Apr 21 15:39:14 PDT 2013

Briefing: Fast-Track Trade Authority
12:00 P.M. Tuesday, April 23rd, 441 CHOB

Dear Colleagues:

As Ranking Member of the House Rules Committee, I invite you to a
briefing on the expedited House procedures that in the past have sent
trade agreements through the House floor without necessary input from
Members of Congress. Please join this discussion on Tuesday, April
23rd at 12:00pm in 441 Cannon House Office Building.

Fast Track authority allowed the executive branch to unilaterally
select trade partners, negotiate terms and sign deals all before
Congress voted. It empowered the executive to submit legislation to
implement such deals with no committee or floor amendments and a
guaranteed vote in 60 days.  Fast Track was only used 16 times since
its 1973 establishment, including for NAFTA, WTO and other highly
controversial pacts. The last congressional delegation of Fast Track
ended in 2007.

The panel will discuss the operation and legacy of Fast Track, as well
as other past forms of trade authority.

Briefing Panel:

·         Hon. David Bonior, Former Member of Congress and  House Whip

·         Lori Wallach, Director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch

·         Owen Herrnstadt, Director of Trade and Globalization
Department, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace
Workers

Procedure impacts policy. The 113th Congress may see an attempt to
revive Fast Track as the Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations come
to a close.  Now is the time to review the constitutional authority we
have delegated away and the consequences seen in our communities.  We
must ensure our constituents voices are heard in the legislative
process.

Please contact Stefanie Winzeler of my staff if you have any
questions, either at stefanie.winzeler at mail.house.gov or 225-3615.
Thank you and I hope you and your staff can join this important
discussion.

Sincerely,

s/
Louise M. Slaughter