[CTC] Don't Be Fooled by Data Tricks: The Case of the Dueling Korea FTA Press Releases

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue Mar 19 13:10:16 PDT 2013

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eyes on Trade
Date: March 19, 2013 12:18:01 PM PDT
Subject: Eyes On Trade: Don't Be Fooled by Data Tricks: The Case of
the Dueling Korea FTA Press Releases

Eyes On Trade: Don't Be Fooled by Data Tricks: The Case of the Dueling
Korea FTA Press Releases

Don't Be Fooled by Data Tricks: The Case of the Dueling Korea FTA
Press Releases
On Friday we sent out a press release exposing the export-chilling,
deficit-expanding, job-eroding track record of the Korea Free Trade
Agreement (FTA) on the first anniversary of its implementation.  That
same day, the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) sent out a press
release singing the export-boosting praises of the Korea FTA.  What
could explain this riddle of dueling press releases?

Some basic data tricks.  USTR’s press release relied on five sleights
of hand to gussy up the unsightly Korea FTA data and generate some
misleading, albeit rose-colored, conclusions:

Cherry-picking.  Overall U.S. exports to Korea have fallen 9 percent
under the FTA.  USTR first tries to get around this inconvenient fact
by simply “disregarding” particularly large exports that declined
(e.g. corn) so as to produce a sanitized illusion of an increase in
“total U.S. exports.” (By “total U.S. exports” they mean “some U.S.
exports, excluding particularly important export sectors that would
contradict our argument of a total export increase.”)  USTR saves most
of its FTA-touting words for some narrow sectors that were export-
increasing exceptions to the export-falling rule of the Korea FTA.
For example, while total U.S. agricultural exports to Korea have
plunged 29% under the FTA, USTR spotlighted export rises in specific
agricultural products like soybeans and grape juice.  Such “soybean-
picking” avoids the essential question: what has been the total effect
of the Korea FTA on U.S. exports and jobs?  The inconvenient answer: a
loss.
Using the wrong timeframe.  The USTR press release acted as if the
Korea FTA was in effect for the full 2012 calendar year, though it
only took effect on March 15, 2012 (hence the timing of the press
release).  The agency errantly compared the full year of data for 2011
with the full year from 2012, claiming the results to be due to the
Korea FTA.  This timeframe starts and ends too soon.  An accurate
assessment of the Korea FTA’s legacy would begin the data comparison
with the first full month in which the FTA was actually in effect:
April 2012 (vs. April 2011).  Also, the timeframe would not stop with
the end of 2012, but with the most recent month for which we have
data: January 2013.  Perhaps USTR decided to omit January because it
marked the highest monthly U.S.-Korea trade deficit on record.
Whatever their reasons, the timeframe mistake skews each starry-eyed
data point that USTR presents in its release.
Ignoring imports.  As per usual, USTR has examined only one side of
the trade equation.  The word “imports” doesn’t appear once in their
press release.  But in the same way that exports are associated with
job opportunities, imports are associated with lost job opportunities
when they outstrip exports, as dramatically seen under the Korea FTA.
Under the deal, the U.S. trade deficit with Korea has swelled 30
percent, costing tens of thousands of U.S. jobs.  By ignoring rising
imports, USTR claims a gain for auto manufacturers under the FTA.  But
while U.S. auto exports to Korea have increased by $65 million under
the deal, U.S. auto imports from Korea have ballooned by $2.3
billion.  The resulting 18 percent increase in the U.S. auto trade
deficit with Korea is a net loss for U.S. automakers, not a net gain.
Counting foreign-made “exports.”  USTR once again inflates the value
of U.S. exports by counting goods that actually are made overseas –
not by U.S. workers.  These “re-exports” are goods made elsewhere that
are shipped through the United States en route to a final
destination.  To assess what the Korea FTA has actually meant for U.S.
jobs, our release eliminated re-exports in calculating the 9 percent
drop in U.S.-made exports to Korea under the deal.
Forgetting about inflation.  It appears that USTR forgot to adjust its
numbers for inflation, an omission that artificially magnifies the
value of U.S. exports in 2012 relative to 2011.  All of the data
contained in our press release is properly inflation-adjusted to show
a truer picture of U.S. exports under the Korea FTA – a picture that
unfortunately does not look too pretty without all of USTR’s cropping
and airbrushing.
If we want trade policy that behooves the majority, rather than an
expansion of the damaging Korea FTA model, then we have to look
honestly at the Korea FTA track record.  If instead we twist the data
to make mistakes look like successes, we are binding ourselves to the
replication of failure.