[CTC] Over 400 Groups Speak Out on the TPP & Fast Track

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Mon Mar 4 17:04:06 PST 2013

Dear Friends:

Thank you if your group was among the over 400 organizations,
representing more than 15 million Americans, that co-signed the letter
to Congress expressing deep concerns about the proposed Trans-Pacific
Partnership (TPP) and opposition to the outdated "Fast Track" trade
negotiating and approval process.

The joint letter was submitted to Congress today, and it couldn't have
been more timely.  The letter comes just one business day after the
President included Fast Track in his 2013 Trade Policy Agenda, and the
same day as negotiators from 11 countries throughout the Pacific Rim
met in Singapore for a new round of talks aimed at pushing the TPP
towards conclusion.  A copy of the letter is attached, and can also be
found online here.

I've been inspired by the "movement of movements" represented in this
document — with labor, environmental, family farm, Native American,
human rights, public health, consumer, animal rights, Occupy, student,
peace and other groups standing shoulder-to-shoulder on an issue that
impacts us all.  Now I'm asking you to take the obvious next two steps
to help us win:

(1) Please Put the Letter in Congress Members' Hands by Arranging In-
District Meetings
Can your organization please request an in-district meeting with your
U.S. Representative to discuss your concerns with the TPP and your
opposition to Fast Track?  Basic talking points are already available,
and we're happy to fine-tune them for your Member of Congress once
your meeting is requested.  Please let us know when you've requested a
meeting by filling out this form.  We've already arranged electronic
delivery of the letter to each Congressional office — but we need your
help actually putting it in Congress Members' hands to ensure they
hear your concerns and that they know you're watching them on this
issue.

(2) Please Spread the Word about the TPP & Fast Track to Your Members
Now that your group has taken a stand, please let your members and
supporters know by blogging about it, tweeting about it and posting
about it on Facebook.  There's even a tinyurl for the letter: http://tinyurl.com/tradeltrpdf
   Please forward me any posts, tweets or other info you publish at info at citizenstrade.org
  and I'll help forward it for you.

This letter is an important start.  I look forward to working with you
over the coming weeks and months.  Together, we can create a more just
and sustainable global economy.

In solidarity,

Arthur Stamoulis
Executive Director