[CTC] Philippines eager to join Trans-Pacific pact

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue Mar 19 12:07:50 PDT 2013

·
·         JAPAN NEWS
·         March 15, 2013, 6:29 a.m. ET
Abe Says Japan Will Join Trade Talks
By TOKO SEKIGUCHI

TOKYO—Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced Friday that his
country will take a seat at the negotiation table of the U.S.-led
Trans-Pacific Partnership free trade negotiations, a move that may pit
him against powerful farm lobbies ahead of upper house elections this
summer.

"This is our last chance to join the TPP and take part in the rule-
making," Mr. Abe told reporters Friday at a news conference to mark
his decision to join the talks. "For Japan to remain inward-looking
means we are giving up on the possibility of growth."

Read More
·         Bid to Enter Trade Talks Marks New Phase in 'Abenomics'

Friday's decision comes after weeks of high tension within Mr. Abe's
Liberal Democratic Party, a pro-business conservative party also with
strong ties to farm associations that have significant influence over
the key rural vote.

A number of produce sectors heavily protected by import tariffs have
loudly protested against joining the TPP talks, which also include
agricultural giants like Canada and Australia.

Rural prefectures of Kochi and Shimane lodged complaints earlier
Friday, Kyodo News reported, warning the dangers TPP pose to their
already dwindling farm population.

Mr. Abe had been setting the stage for Friday's announcement since his
party beat the Democratic Party of Japan in December's elections,
assuring voters that he would automatically be against joining the TPP
if it required "prior commitment to unilaterally eliminate tariffs."

Last month after his visit with U.S. President Barack Obama, Mr. Abe
confirmed that such requirements did not exist, rejecting TPP critics
who say that taking part in the negotiations would be the beginning of
the end of Japanese agriculture.

"I promise to protect our farm and produce," Mr. Abe reassured the
public adding, "We must be on the offensive with our agriculture-this
is a chance, not a crunch."

The Japanese government estimates the TPP, presuming all tariffs are
scrapped, could add ¥3.2 trillion ($33.3 billion) to the economy,
which is 0.66 percentage point of the real gross domestic product.