[CTC] DeFazio backs Iran deal, bashes TPP

Dolan Mike MDolan at teamster.org
Tue Aug 25 08:00:06 PDT 2015

DeFazio backs Iran deal, bashes TPP
Gazette Times
August 25, 2015
http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/defazio-backs-iran-deal-bashes-tpp/article_2944d1d0-dc4f-50c4-b855-5e76c27f6440.html

The proposed nuclear agreement with Iran is far from ideal, but it's the best we're likely to get, U.S. Rep. Peter DeFazio told a roomful of his 4th District constituents at the downtown Corvallis library Monday evening.

"It's a very tough agreement, and there's a lot of misinformation about it," he said.

Despite what detractors say, the deal would severely hamper Iran's ability to build a nuclear weapon and would impose meaningful international inspections in exchange for easing economic sanctions, DeFazio told a standing-room audience of more than 80 people who crammed the library's main meeting room.

The Springfield Democrat spoke for a little over an hour in his third town hall meeting of the day. He made earlier stops in Sweet Home and Albany as part of a 13-city swing through his home district during the summer congressional recess.

While he might wish for an even tougher agreement, DeFazio said, the deal brokered by the Obama administration has the support of key international partners including Russia and China, who have made it clear they will not be involved in any U.S. attempt to renegotiate the terms to appease the Israeli government and critics in Congress.

"Those who are opposed say we need another deal, a better deal. There is no better deal, and there won't be another deal," De Fazio said. "If we walk away, we walk away alone and Iran builds a bomb."

While he supports the Iran agreement, DeFazio attacked another deal being negotiated by the administration: the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a NAFTA-style arrangement that would create a new economic framework between the United States and a number of Pacific Rim countries, calling it "the last and worst trade agreement we will ever have."

DeFazio complained that the TPP gives too much power to foreign corporations, which could file suit in secret tribunals if U.S. labor or environmental laws cut into their profits.

"The mischief that can be wrought under this agreement is just unbelievable," he said.

DeFazio, who is the ranking Democrat on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, also argued for the need to increase funding for freeways and bridges, saying the nation's transportation infrastructure is badly in need of repair.

The congressman also answered questions from the audience on a wide range of topics. Among other things, DeFazio said he:

* Supports developing an earthquake early warning system for the Northwest.

* Supports phasing out the Social Security payroll tax cap so high-paid workers contribute more.

* Supports federal emergency funding for large wildfires.

* Supports expediting thinning projects on federal forest lands to reduce fuel loads.

* Opposes giving federal lands to states.

* Supports tougher safety rules for transporting oil by rail.

* Supports a transaction tax on stock trading.

* Supports increasing Medicare reimbursement rates to bring Oregon levels up to those in other states.

* Supports amending the Affordable Care Act to allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug rates with pharmaceutical companies.

* Supports a constitutional amendment to balance the budget.

* Would vote to expand Medicare to all Americans if such a bill came to the House floor.

Michael F. Dolan, J.D.
Legislative Representative
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Desk  202.624.6891