[CTC] IUST: Reichert Says About 15 Republicans Will Oppose TPP Over Tobacco

Dolan, Mike MDolan at teamster.org
Thu Dec 3 12:58:16 PST 2015

Daily News
Reichert Says About 15 Republicans Will Oppose TPP Over Tobacco
Rep. Dave Reichert (R-WA), the chairman of the House Ways & Means trade subcommittee, warned Thursday (Dec. 3) that securing congressional passage of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement will be more difficult than the winning approval of the fast-track bill in June, in part because at the moment roughly 15 House Republicans who voted for fast track would oppose TPP over its treatment of tobacco.

Reichert, who spoke during a meeting of the President's Export Council (PEC), flagged the tobacco issue as one of three problems that members of Congress have with TPP, the others being the term of intellectual property (IP) protection for biologic drugs and "localization issues."

The latter refers to the fact that TPP does not ban governments from imposing requirements that financial services companies store data on servers within their territory, an omission which has raised the ire of U.S. financial services firms.

"Each side of the aisle has its issues," Reichert said. "TPP is going to be harder [than fast track] ...We're going to lose about 15 votes on the tobacco issue on the Republican side."

But Reichert also expressed confidence that these problems identified by members can be adequately addressed so that Congress can pass the TPP deal. "So we've got to find some ways to move issues like [tobacco] forward," he said. "We're going to get through those [difficult issues] because we all understand how critical this is and how important it is for American jobs."

Reichert said both the administration and lawmakers were "making great progress" toward coming up with a TPP that is acceptable to Congress. He said U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman had met with members on both sides of the aisle, including Ways & Means Republicans, to discuss TPP.

"The ambassador has been very available to meeting with both sides in listening to both sides and try to address their concerns to create a piece of legislation, a trade agreement, that sets that high standard for free and fair trade across this globe," Reichert said.

Speaking at the same meeting, National Economic Council Director Jeff Zients said the president and the rest of his administration will make TPP a major priority in 2016, and will work with U.S. companies to secure congressional approval the way it did for fast track, also known as Trade Promotion Authority (TPA).

"[TPP] will be a top priority for 2016, and you will see that reflected in the president's calendar and the whole cabinet's calendar in terms of emphasis and push," Zients said. "The same way we were all out in partnership with you on TPA -- the same play will be run on TPP."

For TPA, the administration engaged in a whole of government effort to gain congressional support by enlisting cabinet members and Obama himself to call and visit with members and caucuses.

But the White House was caught off guard when House Democrats were able to temporarily block the TPA bill by voting down an extension of Trade Adjustment Assistance that was bundled with it. The administration then managed to save TPA by devising a plan with congressional Republicans to pass both measures separately.

Froman, who also spoke at the PEC, expressed confidence that Congress would ultimately support TPP once members better understand said the "benefits" of the deal, but acknowledged it would not be easy.

"This is going to be a tough battle; we're already up on the Hill talking with Republicans and Democrats -- House and Senate," he said. "We're convinced in the end that we'll have the necessary support, but it's only going to happen if [members] fully have an understanding of the benefits of this agreement for their constituents, and how it's going to effect jobs and growth for their companies and for their workers in their districts."

Michael F. Dolan, J.D.
Legislative Representative
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Desk  202.624.6891