[CTC] McCarthy: Customs conference 'likely' before recess

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Wed Jul 22 03:10:10 PDT 2015

POLITICO

McCarthy: Customs conference 'likely' before recess

7/21/15 2:41 PM EDT

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy said today that the House and Senate
would probably conference the customs reauthorization bill before the
August recess, adding that it was his intention to do so.

"It’s likely to happen before the recess," the California Republican told
reporters. "I haven’t touched base with [House Ways and Means Chairman Paul
Ryan] today, but we are very closing to starting soon, so stay tuned."

McCarthy originally planned to move forward with a conference last week,
but there was "one problem of why we couldn't," he said, without
immediately offering specifics. When asked if Congress was waiting for the
State Department to release its updated human trafficking report, which has
direct implications for Malaysia as a Trans-Pacific Partnership country,
McCarthy didn't answer directly. "When we schedule it, I will let you
know," he said of the conference.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch, meanwhile, told reporters
that the conference would "hopefully" happen this week.

"There’s more than one thing, but I think we’ll get it done," Hatch said.

— Victoria Guida