[CTC] NEW letter from 19 pro-fast track Dems on the environment chapter

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Thu Jul 30 09:25:13 PDT 2015

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ilana Solomon
Subject: NEW letter from 19 pro-fast track Dems on the environment chapter
Date: July 30, 2015 at 12:16:43 PM EDT

Hi all,

In addition to the letter I sent around yesterday from 18 pro-fast track dems <http://blumenauer.house.gov/images/pdf/072815_letter_ustr.compressed1.pdf> about enforcement and the environment chapter, today 19 pro fast track dems sent another letter all about the obligations in the environment chapter. <http://blumenauer.house.gov/images/pdf/072915_letter_TPP.pdf>

The letter reiterates that their support for TPA does not translate into automatic support for TPP.

They also say that they are concerned that the TPP will fail the scrutiny by the American public if it does not incorporate the standards set out in the May 10th agreement.  This is particularly important, as we know that the TPP will not meet the May 10th standard with respect to multilateral environmental agreements.  May 10th obligated countries to “adopt, maintain, and implement” the laws, regulations, and all other measures to fulfill its obligations under a set of seven multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs) and subject those commitments to the FTA dispute settlement process.  The TPP will not include a list of MEAs, (though USTR will argue that the text of the TPP incorporates the core obligations from the MEAs - we know that is not the case). So this will be a really important point to stress to Members and to the media.

The letter also stresses that “a strong TPP environment chapter that incorporates the proposal outlined in your Green Paper is critical.”  The problem is that the Green Paper is quite vague (see here <https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/fact-sheets/2011/ustr-green-paper-conservation-and-trans-pacific-partnership>).  However, in the letter members state that: "we cannot forgot an opportunity to improve environmental protections, enforce conservation standards, and prohibit the illegal trade in wildlife, forest and living marine resources to a degree that no level of foreign aid could accomplish."  It also states that “by committing TPP countries to prohibit trade in these illegally sourced goods, we can significantly erode current and future markets and transshipments points.”  This is critical, as we are quite certain that the TPP will not include a prohibition on illegal trade in timber, wildlife, and fish.  (There will be an obligation on illegal trade in flora and fauna, but it will be vaguer than a prohibition.)

The language on shark finning and whaling will also almost certainly not be strong enough to remedy the challenges, as the letter suggests.

The references to climate change and to investment chapters will also provide useful points to follow up on.

The environmental community will be coordinating on how to make the most of this letter (and of course welcome any input/thoughts/strategy ideas)!

Best,

Ilana

Ilana Solomon
Director, Responsible Trade Program