[CTC] Obama Stepping Up Pressure For Fast Track

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Thu Jun 4 07:45:49 PDT 2015

Washington Trade Daily
Volume 24, Number 111 Thursday, June 4, 2015

Obama Stepping Up Pressure For TPA

President Obama stepped up pressure on House Democrats yesterday to support legislation (HR
1314) giving him Trade Promotion Authority, even as the White House acknowledged it does not have
the votes “all sewed up” (WTD, 6/3/15).

The President participated in a series of television interviews with local anchors from Sacramento,
San Diego, Seattle, El Paso and Dallas – areas represented by Democrats who have either come out in
support of TPA or are still on the fence.

The President also did a national interview with American Public Radio’s Markeplace program.
He repeated many of the same arguments he is making privately to undecided House Democrats about
why he needs TPA in order to finalize the TransPacific Partnership trade agreement with 11 other
countries.

The TPP will ensure that the fast-growing Asia-Pacific economies will follow high standards in
areas like worker rights and environmental protection set by the United States – instead of falling into
China’s “gravitational pull,” the President said. Mr. Obama has repeatedly said the TPP is needed to
ensure that China is not the one writing the rules of trade for the region.

But the President took a different tack yesterday, saying that Beijing has begun “putting out
feelers” about joining the TPP itself at some point. However, it would have to adopt the TPP’s high
standards.

But California Democrat – and TPP opponent – Brad Sherman had a different take on China and
the TPP. At a Capitol Hill press conference yesterday, he told reporters China will be able to take
advantage of the TPP without ever having to adopt higher standards in order to join it. TPP’s rules of
origin will allow products that are up to 60-percent Chinese-made to enter the US market duty-free.
Obama on Marketplace.

Beyond yesterday’s spate of interviews, President Obama is personally reaching out to House
Democrats in order to get their votes, White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters. And not only
is the President making a “persuasive” case for his trade agenda – he is promising to personally back any

Democrats who take political flack in the next elections because of their support. “The President has
been very clear about his willingness to stand with Democrats who stand with him on trade,” including
by working for them in Democratic primaries if needed, according to Mr. Earnest.

The President ultimately was able to persuade a third of Senate Democrats to vote for TPA, Mr.
Earnest pointed out. That level may not be attainable in the House, but the Administration is confident
of having enough votes. “We are not planning to lose.”

But the White House spokesman added – “I don’t want to leave you with the impression this is
all sewed up. We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) – whose rank-and-file members are expected to provide
the bulk of the votes for TPA – offered a similar assessment yesterday. “I don’t think we’re quite there
yet, but over the next couple of weeks we hope to get this bill on the floor and get it passed,” he said in an
interview on Fox Radio. The Speaker is doing his own personal outreach to undecided Republicans –
and to conservatives who are saying they will vote against TPA because they do not trust President
Obama even though they support trade.

But a leading House opponent of TPA – Connecticut Democrat Rosa DeLauro – told reporters
she believes her side has the votes to defeat the bill. “We have an overwhelming number of votes on the
Democratic side and I’m hoping for substantial votes on the Republican side. I believe we can win it,”
she said.

Ms. DeLauro and other anti-TPA Democrats participated in a Capitol Hill press conference
yesterday to deliver petitions with two million signatures urging the House to vote against TPA. The
White House is putting strong pressure on Democrats to vote with the President – and is offering
“goodies” that opponents cannot match, she said.

But some Democrats said they are not swayed by the White House’s offers. “I don’t need a perk
from leadership. I don’t need a ride on Air Force One,” said Wisconsin Democrat Mark Pocan.

Other Democrats said they are put off by the notion that they are somehow being disloyal to the
President by opposing TPA. “I have stood with this President on many tough votes,” Rep. Raul Grijalva
(D-Az) said. “This is not a question of loyalty to the President. It’s a question of loyalty to the people
who put me in office.”

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn) said the most difficult aspect of the whole exercise is the “awesome”
pressure from the President, himself. He told WTD he is a friend of the President and agrees with him
nine out of 10 times. But he does not intend to change his vote.