[CTC] Sierra Club Releases “What is the TPP?” Animated Video

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue Jun 9 12:44:04 PDT 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
Contact: Dan Byrnes (202) 495-3039 <tel:%28202%29%20495-3039> or daniel.byrnes at sierraclub.org <mailto:daniel.byrnes at sierraclub.org>

Sierra Club Releases “What is the TPP?” Animated Video
Video exposes environmental dangers of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal
Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/BYm6nGCF46I <https://youtu.be/BYm6nGCF46I>

WASHINGTON, D.C. --  Today, the Sierra Club released “What is the TPP? <https://youtu.be/BYm6nGCF46I>,” an animated video exposing the secretive and nearly complete Trans-Pacific Partnership and the threats it poses to the fight against climate disruption. The 97-second video shows how the TPP, a massive proposed trade deal with 11 other Pacific Rim nations, would empower multinational corporations to sue the United States government in private trade courts over domestic laws, and would require the U.S. Department of Energy to automatically approve all exports of natural gas to countries in the pact, opening the floodgates to fracking across the U.S.
Part of the video’s narration reads, “This is just some of what we know about the TPP. What lurks in the shadows of the pact may be even worse. The time has come to build a new model of trade that puts communities and our environment above corporate profits.”
The Sierra Club has been working for years to expose the dangers of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and other trade deals modeled after flawed trade failures like NAFTA that have led to environmental degradation in the United States and abroad.
“In under two minutes, this video tells the truth about a trade deal that the U.S. Trade Representative is hiding from the public” said Ilana Solomon, director of the Sierra Club’s Responsible Trade Program. “Clean air, clean water, and climate activists around the world can help bring this environmental disaster into the light of day by watching and sharing this video.”
“What is the TPP?” can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/BYm6nGCF46I <https://youtu.be/BYm6nGCF46I>
###
About the Sierra Club
The Sierra Club is America’s largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization, with more than 2.4 million members and supporters. In addition to helping people from all backgrounds explore nature and our outdoor heritage, the Sierra Club works to promote clean energy, safeguard the health of our communities, protect wildlife, and preserve our remaining wild places through grassroots activism, public education, lobbying, and legal action. For more information, visit www.sierraclub.org <http://www.sierraclub.org/>.
 <http://www.facebook.com/SierraClub> <http://action.sierraclub.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TakeAction> <http://action.sierraclub.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Signup_Insider> <http://twitter.com/sierraclub>
Sierra Club | 85 2nd St San Francisco, CA 94105 | sierra.news at sierraclub.org <mailto:sierra.news at sierraclub.org>
Explore, enjoy, and protect the planet.