[CTC] Sierra Club Statement on Stall of Fast-Track Trade Bill

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Jun 12 11:09:23 PDT 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Friday, June 12, 2015
Contact: Dan Byrnes (202) 495-3039 <tel:%28202%29%20495-3039> or dan.byrnes at sierraclub.org <mailto:dan.byrnes at sierraclub.org>

View as webpage <https://content.sierraclub.org/press-releases/2015/06/sierra-club-statement-stall-fast-track-trade-bill-major-victory>

Sierra Club Statement on Stall of Fast-Track Trade Bill:
"This is a major victory."

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Today, Congress voted against Trade Adjustment Assistance, a woefully insufficient program that would have failed to protect workers displaced by trade. This move decimated hope of completing a package of trade bills this week, including a “fast-track” bill that would limit Congressional authority and oversight over international trade deals like the massive Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
In response, Sierra Club executive director Michael Brune release the following statement:
“This is a major victory for everyone who thinks trade should be fair and responsible. The era of free trade deals that harm workers and the environment is coming to a close. Now, we must bury fast track and trade deals that threaten our air, water, and climate once and for all, and start fresh to build a new model of trade.”
###