[CTC] McConnell sees Fast Track, TAA and AGOA on Obama's desk by July 4

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Jun 19 04:44:19 PDT 2015

POLITICO

McConnell sees TPA, TAA and AGOA on Obama's desk by July 4

6/18/15 7:41 PM EDT
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tonight laid out a path for trade promotion authority, Trade Adjustment Assistance and a trade preferences bill to reach President Barack Obama's desk before July 4th, but said it would take trust on both sides to accomplish that goal.

"In the judgement of members of both parties in the House and the Senate, our best way forward is to consider TPA and TAA separately," McConnell said <http://www.politicopro.com/f/?f=39532&inb> on the Senate floor. "That means TAA will come second after TPA, but the votes will be there to pass it."

McConnell then filed two cloture motions: One to limit debate on a trade preferences bill that he plans to use as a vehicle to approve Trade Adjustment Assistance and another to limit debate on a TPA bill passed today by the House.

"This puts the Senate on a procedural glide-path to consider and then pass the TPA bill, the AGOA [African Growth and Opportunity Act] and preferences bill and TAA," McConnell said. "And so assuming everyone has a little faith and votes the same way they did just a few weeks ago, we'll be able to get all of these bills to the president soon."

McConnell also promised action on customs legislation passed by the House and Senate and said there would be conference on that legislation "as soon as we're able."

— Doug Palmer