[CTC] More statements on TPP deal (batch 4)

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Mon Oct 5 09:39:34 PDT 2015

Statements from National Farmers Union, Congressional Progressive Caucus, US Business and Industry Council, Reps. Pocan, Ryan, Tiberi, Levin and Sens. Hatch and Wyden...

NFU Vigorously Opposes TPP Without Currency Manipulation Enforcement

WASHINGTON (October 5, 2015) – The following statement was released in response to the agreement finalizing the Trans-Pacific Partnership made between the United States and 11 other Pacific Rim nations. The statement should be attributed to National Farmers Union (NFU) President Roger Johnson:

“Just as we feared, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is moving forward without any meaningful language addressing one of the chief tools used by our trade competitors to ensure the playing field is never fair: currency manipulation.

“Because of this, NFU will continue to vigorously oppose this agreement and urge Congress to reject this deal as well. Gains that may have been made in the agreement to ensure fairness and equity in trade for America’s family farmers and ranchers are likely to be lost due to currency manipulation.

“Any deal that lacks tough language against currency manipulation is not worth the paper it’s written on.”

National Farmers Union has been working since 1902 to protect and enhance the economic well-being and quality of life for family farmers, ranchers and rural communities through advocating grassroots-driven policy positions adopted by its membership.
-30-

====

Progressive Caucus Co-Chairs on Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement

WASHINGTON—Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) Co-Chairs Reps. Raúl M. Grijalva (D-AZ) and Keith Ellison (D-MN) released the following statement today after the U.S. Trade Representative announced that the United States has reached a deal with 11 other nations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

“The deal announced today is the result of negotiations between corporate interests and trade representatives, which ignored the voices of working families in all twelve countries. While details are still emerging, we are concerned the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) will destroy jobs and depress wages, threaten health and safety standards, harm our air, land and water, and make it harder for patients to access life-saving drugs.

“This deal is not ‘the most progressive trade deal ever.’ There is no indication that TPP will force countries with lax labor laws to improve their working conditions or standards. That means Americans will compete with workers who earn less than a dollar an hour. The deal also threatens the jobs of working families by supplementing protections against currency manipulators that undermine American exports, with an unenforceable side-deal.

“American families deserve trade deals that put them first. The Trans-Pacific Partnership is not that deal.”

The Progressive Caucus has consistently raised concerns throughout this process about specific provisions – or the lack there of – that would make the difference between a good trade deal and bad.  Our Progressive Principles for Trade <http://cpc.grijalva.house.gov/uploads/Principles%20for%20Trade%20-%20FINAL%202015.05.05.pdf> outline provisions that would ensure trade deals benefit American workers. TPP fails to meet these principles:

Protect Congress’ constitutionally mandated authority to set trade policy
Restore balanced trade to address our growing trade deficit
Put workers first by containing enforceable and robust labor protections
Stop currency manipulation that devalues American exports
Expand buy-America procurement practices to give priority to American businesses
Protect the environment for future generations by respecting strong environmental standards
Prioritize consumers above profits to allow countries to implement and retain policies to protect the health and safety of consumers
Protect nationhood rights by prohibiting special corporate courts through Investor State Dispute Settlement provisions
Secure affordable access to essential medicines and services
Respect human rights and require signatories to be consistent with the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Provide a safety net for vulnerable American workers who lose their jobs due to trade
###

====

Domestic Manufacturers Reject Trans-Pacific Partnership Deal Announced Today

Washington, October 5 - The members of the U.S. Business and Industry Council (USBIC) categorically reject the Trans-Pacific Partnership deal announced this morning as completely inadequate to serve the interests of American manufacturers, workers, farmers, and other segments of the US economy.  Additionally, USBIC notes that the Obama administration, by refusing to include enforceable currency manipulation provisions, is offering an open invitation for TPP member countries Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore to continue their unfair, anti-competitive currency practices without fear of consequences.

Kevin L. Kearns, USBIC president, said, "In concluding the TPP deal announced today, the Obama administration has refused to carry out the will of Congress and its specific negotiating instructions to include enforceable currency provisions in the agreement.  The omission of meaningful currency language is not only a deal-breaker, but also an open invitation to Japan, Malaysia and Singapore, among others, to continue to use currency cheating to gain competitive advantage over American companies."

Kearns continued, "In addition, the lack of enforceable currency provisions in the TPP signals China and other East Asian non-party manipulators that they are 'home free' and can continue to use currency market interventions to boost sales without fear that the United States will seek any redress. Finally, the lack of currency provisions sets a terrible precedent for the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership trade deal.  Several European nations are currency manipulators as well and now know that they can continue their practices without any consequences."

Kearns concluded, "The TPP is not free trade and it is not fair trade.  It is government-managed trade.  Witness the horse-trading at the all-night Atlanta negotiating sessions, where executive branch negotiators decided which industries would be sacrificed to achieve a deal and cement the "Obama legacy." Industrial sectors such as autos, dairy, agriculture, and pharmaceuticals are government-designated losers under the TPP.  Today's statements by leading Members of Congress, saying they must study the deal to see what's in it, indicate that the representatives of the American people were not adequately consulted.  The Obama administration's penchant for secret negotiations, favoritism, and crony capitalism along with blatant disregard for Congressional instructions on currency should not be allowed to stand when the TPP comes to Congress for a vote.  To preserve the integrity of the trade negotiating process and to force achievement of a better trade deal, Congress must reject this woefully inadequate TPP trade agreement."

###

The USBIC was founded in 1933 to represent the concerns of America's small and medium-sized business community. Member companies are typically family-owned or privately held, mostly in the manufacturing sector. They are often the major employers in their home communities and the mainstays of the local economy. This membership composition has given the USBIC an outlook on issues more rooted in main street America than other national business groups, which are dominated by giant multinational corporations with global agendas and dwindling national loyalties.

====
Pocan Calls for Immediate Release of Trans-Pacific Partnership Text

Washington, D.C - U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) calls for the immediate release of the Trans-Pacific Partnership text today after negotiators in Atlanta reached a final deal with the 12 countries involved:

“Now that a final deal has been reached the Administration owes it to the American people to immediately release the full text of the TPP. This negotiating process has not been transparent, despite claims from the USTR. The secretive nature of these negotiations is compounded by the pressure to throw together this deal based on the political timelines of negotiating partners is worrisome. These negotiations, which have been conducted almost entirely in secret, are even more concerning given our apparent adherence to political timelines with little regard to the interests of U.S. workers.

“Reports throughout the course of the negotiating process raise serious questions about the impact of this agreement on a number of areas, ranging from workplace and environmental protections to food safety. Initial reports indicate that labor standards remain subpar, currency manipulation has not been adequately addressed, rules of origin for autos have been weakened and human rights issues in countries like Malaysia and Brunei have not been dealt with properly. Along with these concerns, corporations still have the ability to supersede the laws of our country through the Investor State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) process.

“Past trade deals have been a disaster for American workers, so it is imperative Congress rigorously reviews this deal to ensure the American people are not being taken for a ride yet again.”

###

=====

WAYS & MEANS...

CHAIRMAN RYAN'S STATEMENT:

WASHINGTON, DC - House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) released the following statement in response to the news that negotiators in the Trans-Pacific Partnership have reached agreement.

"A successful Trans-Pacific Partnership would mean greater American influence in the world and more good jobs at home. But only a good agreement-and one that meets congressional guidelines in the newly enacted Trade Promotion Authority-will be able to pass the House. I am reserving judgment until I am able to review the final text and consult with my colleagues and my constituents. In particular, I want to explore concerns surrounding the most recent aspects of the agreement. I'm pleased that the American people will be able to read it as well because TPA requires, for the first time ever, the administration to make the text public for at least 60 days before sending it to Congress for consideration. The administration must clearly explain the benefits of this agreement and what it will mean for American families. I hope that Amb. Froman and the White House have produced an agreement that the House can support."

TRADE SUBC. CHAIR:

WASHINGTON, DC - House Ways and Means Trade Subcommittee Chairman Pat Tiberi (R-OH) released the following statement after negotiators in the Trans-Pacific Partnership reached agreement.
"Today the administration announced there was an agreement reached in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations, and I look forward to reviewing the text closely to ensure it follows the objectives Congress laid out in passing Trade Promotion Authority (TPA). TPP has the potential to increase American influence and provide access for American businesses to sell their products and services around the world. However, there are many complex issues involved in this agreement that require careful consideration to ensure that the outcome is beneficial for the U.S. economy and jobs. I am pleased the passage of TPA earlier this year will allow the public to fully review the text of TPP, and I look forward to receiving input from my constituents and other stakeholders."

RANKING DEM SANDY LEVIN:

WASHINGTON, DC - Ways and Means Committee Ranking Member Sander Levin (D-MI) today issued a statement following the conclusion of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade negotiations this week in Atlanta, where United States Trade Representative Michael Froman announced that the 12 TPP countries have reached an agreement:

"Progress has been made on important issues, with the outcome on a multitude of issues still requiring deeper scrutiny, and others falling short of the results we seek. Removing tobacco from investor-state dispute settlement is a vital and welcome step in allowing countries to protect their public health. There has also been substantial progress with Vietnam and Malaysia in the areas of worker rights as we seek to ensure they comply with the enforceable standards in the agreement. Unfortunately, there is still no satisfactory plan to ensure that Mexico - a country where economic competition with U.S. workers is the most intense - changes its laws and practices to comply with its obligations in the agreement. Changing NAFTA has been a top priority - we cannot miss this opportunity and hope to rely on a future dispute settlement panel to do so. The Finance Ministers' plan regarding currency manipulation - an issue with a major impact on U.S. jobs - is also entirely unsatisfactory.

"We will need to see the language to understand the full impact of several issues, including the auto rules of origin, Japan automotive market access, investment, environment, state-owned enterprises and agricultural market access. In the vital area of access to medicines, this issue was discussed until the very last hours, and I pressed to ensure access to generic medicines for developing countries, as well as to avoid locking in policies for the United States and other countries that we may one day decide can be improved. During the 90-day notification period, I look forward to an intense period of Congressional scrutiny, as well as the vital period of public release of the agreement's text. This long-awaited public debate is an important component in evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of this agreement. It will also be important to fully consider the various analyses of the impact of TPP on the U.S. economy and middle class jobs.

"Indeed, at the heart of any trade agreement is its impact on jobs and economic growth. But as we have seen during the course of these negotiations, there are new issues that impact the terms of competition, and others that are vital to the integration of the TPP economies. We have to get this agreement right, which is why no one should be surprised if the 90-day period results in additional changes, particularly since many of these issues are the subjects of bi-lateral negotiations. The most important objective is to get the strongest agreement that benefits American workers and the U.S. economy for generations. The role of Congress now is as important as ever."

-0-

SENATE FINANCE...

Hatch Statement on Trans-Pacific Partnership Negotiations
WASHINGTON - Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) today issued the following statement after the United States Trade Representative (USTR) Michael Froman announced that an agreement had been reached between the United States and 11 other nations to close the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations:

 "A robust and balanced Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement holds the potential to enhance our economy by unlocking foreign markets for American exports and producing higher-paying jobs here at home. But a poor deal risks losing a historic opportunity to break down trade barriers for American-made products with a trade block representing 40 percent of the global economy.  Closing a deal is an achievement for our nation only if it works for the American people and can pass Congress by meeting the high-standard objectives laid out in bipartisan Trade Promotion Authority.  While the details are still emerging, unfortunately I am afraid this deal appears to fall woefully short.   Over the next several days and months, I will carefully examine the agreement to determine whether our trade negotiators have diligently followed the law so that this trade agreement meets Congress's criteria and increases opportunity for American businesses and workers.  The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the United States should not settle for a mediocre deal that fails to  set high-standard trade rules in the Asia-Pacific region for years to come."

A longtime advocate of breaking down trade barriers, Hatch has championed efforts to enhance America's global competitiveness and increase access for American farmers, workers and job-creators into international markets. Most recently, Hatch co-authored legislation to renew Trade Promotion Authority <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00112-CW8JS-Aq2Jgt6kBJWFvQXEsy3KTJj9Cx_H9kRsQoc_CZHbu8apx83FjEaxtYBVjIfvZML8-1jtOn7DsfIFIetRGUXDo6rJYNeDz785rYMyatH4z3LKLsTQMpD_M8OIRCGn0V9kzNmZAQloR26UgOkCJ_dpLh8psm_N4AtcqHasIrXQfF99iRR-wnDHwY9HmaUjJSz_wyKSVQNV_97NKy01oPggF4f7XTY93z_7eJHFffalPdg_VM-OlFxWc4FuOOOfpQlhiMChHz-2Px60aYwYEH41kiN&c=th6I7cBX6foSpX-eQqEsyihyBUj5mPHoo1ulhkfVw75M7gYgUP2NKQ==&ch=5C1prf_pIVXFx9Y9paE0eEOK7nHLp_3CTOoi2WU6__RCA65atGb4Vw==> (TPA) which was signed into law in June.

Wyden Statement on End of TPP Negotiations

WASHINGTON - Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., ranking Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, issued the following statement on the close of negotiations for the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement between the United States and 11 other Pacific nations.

"As I have said in the past, a good Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement could present important new opportunities for Oregon workers, farmers and manufacturers, and raise the bar for labor rights and environmental protections overseas," Wyden said.

"It's now time for Congress and the public to examine the details of the TPP and assess whether it will advance the nation's interests.

"I'm pleased to hear reports that the deal reached today includes, for the first time, an agreement to curb currency manipulation and new and enforceable obligations on countries like Vietnam and Malaysia to uphold labor rights, including in the case of Malaysia enforceable commitments to address human trafficking. I also understand that the agreement will include commitments to stop trade in illegal wildlife and first-ever commitments on conservation.  Importantly, I understand that this deal will ensure that countries that are part of it can regulate tobacco without fearing intimidation and litigation by Big Tobacco. It has been reported the agreement includes enforceable measures to promote the free flow of digital information across borders; if accurate, those provisions could constitute an important win for the Internet and the free speech it facilitates.  Importantly, the impact of this deal must result in parties to it providing copyright exceptions and limitations known as Fair Use.  I look forward to working with the administration and stakeholders to be sure that is ultimately the case.

"In the weeks ahead, I will be examining the details of this agreement to determine whether it will provide the meaningful economic opportunities that Oregonians deserve, and that it reflects Oregon values. I look forward to the details of this agreement becoming public as soon as possible, so Oregonians and the rest of the American public can weigh in."

Background on what happens next:

Pursuant to the Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) legislation that was coauthored by Senator Wyden, the President may not sign the agreement until 90 days after he notifies Congress that he intends to sign it. Additionally, TPA requires the President to make the entire text of the agreement public at least 60 days before he signs it.  Although TPA provides for a clear timeline for how and when Congress will consider a trade agreement like TPP, such timelines do not begin until the President submits the trade agreement to the Congress. The timing of the submission is negotiated between leaders in Congress and the President.

The TPA legislation that Wyden coauthored included negotiating guidelines championed by Wyden to instruct negotiators to seek strong provisions to curb currency manipulation, protect labor rights and the environment, and promote an open Internet.  Wyden recently wrote to the Obama Administration, making clear his views about how the trade agreement should deal with tobacco.  A copy of the letter can be found here <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00112-CW8JS-Aq2Jgt6kBJWFvQXEsy3KTJj9Cx_H9kRsQoc_CZHbu8apx83FjEaxtYBnOoNEDIknrWLrNVNDIpdrWPym0zj4wLrRAGDtY8R47nMKEk7cMgdT7hcmK_IR8sMWHj0qTRBkC1IdNtaZ_cWNYZVdJTRkJyur8zfqqJ3SKMjPY6ROxii9FroVLv6JVHqdF2rH9gLAoRMHltLC99leRjobIBoRbSNOtLpm-32kp5kekfJOdkFlTf60COOwSDg8ir78LfM53E=&c=th6I7cBX6foSpX-eQqEsyihyBUj5mPHoo1ulhkfVw75M7gYgUP2NKQ==&ch=5C1prf_pIVXFx9Y9paE0eEOK7nHLp_3CTOoi2WU6__RCA65atGb4Vw==>.