[CTC] TPP negotiations under way in New York

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Mon Sep 28 03:00:16 PDT 2015

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11520294&ref=rss

TPP negotiations under way in New York

Prime Minister John Key said he believes there is a growing momentum toward
agreement on a Trans Pacific Partnership deal this week as leaders hold
sideline discussions in New York.

Mr Key spent his first evening in New York at a reception hosted by Japan's
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe for a small group of leaders and discussed TPP
negotiations with him. He also hoped to talk to US President Barack Obama
about it during a leaders' lunch early tomorrow morning NZ time.

The leaders' week at the UN coincides with officials meeting in Atlanta to
try to resolve the remaining barriers to an agreement, which include access
for dairy.

Trade Minister Tim Groser previously said it was uncertain if he would go
to Atlanta.

Today Mr Key said it was now "highly likely" Mr Groser would attend - a
sign that an agreement could be imminent but Mr Key said a bit more
movement on dairy was needed.

"I always said it would take one last shove by leaders to get that over the
line. I think there is some growing momentum now around potentially a deal
emerging from Atlanta later in the week."

He said it was not a guarantee and would not confirm reports in Canadian
and US papers that the two countries were about to budge on allowing more
favourable dairy access.

He said the current position was not acceptable to New Zealand.

However, both Abe and Obama knew how important dairy was for New Zealand
and that it needed some movement on access.

"There's an lot of discussions and quite a lot of communications between
leaders. This thing needs one last shove. They know there's only a limited
window of opportunity to get this deal over the line and I think they are
going to put a lot of effort while we are all here together to see if we
can't get some meaningful progress there."

He said Obama had made his views clear. "We have had a lot of conversations
over a long period of time about TPP. He's left me under no doubt about his
determination and commitment to see TPP concluded. He can also see the
window of opportunity closing in on us."

He said there was a lot riding on it for New Zealand because the US was
such a big market. "So there's a lot at stake for New Zealand and I think
there's potential for a very good deal."