[CTC] Washington House Democrats sign letter opposing Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Thu Apr 7 10:17:51 PDT 2016

Congrats, WFTC!  Letter attached

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-house-democrats-sign-letter-opposing-trans-pacific-partnership-trade-deal/

Washington House Democrats sign letter opposing Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal
Originally published April 6, 2016 at 8:28 pm
The Democrats’ letter to Washington’s U.S. congressional delegation says the TPP deal would limit the state’s sovereign control in many areas.

OLYMPIA — About two dozen state Democratic lawmakers have signed a letter opposing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal.

The letter, dated Wednesday, is addressed to Washington’s U.S. congressional delegation and urges them to vote against the deal if it comes before Congress.

Signed by 23 state representatives, the letter argues “the TPP seriously compromises the ability of the Washington Legislature to enact and enforce statutes that bolster our local economy, guard our public health and safety, and protect our natural resources.”

The letter voices concerns over the deal’s potential effect on currency manipulation and intellectual property rights for drug companies.

It also touches on worries about rules that could impact aerospace employment, and the agreement’s approach to labor standards and human rights.