[CTC] Can I take your name to jail with me... again? (Protesting for access for cancer medicine)

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Mon Feb 1 04:52:02 PST 2016

Reminder to please sign the petition and/or attend this noontime rally in DC on Thursday...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Zahara Heckscher <zaharapeace at gmail.com>
Subject: Can I take your name to jail with me... again? (Protesting for access for cancer medicine)
Date: January 31, 2016 at 8:53:08 PM EST
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

If you are in DC, join us for this rally on Feb 4: https://www.facebook.com/events/1720323931532541/  <https://www.facebook.com/events/1720323931532541/>

Post to Facebook or Twitter:

Care about #cancer? #stopTPP Sign http://tinyurl.com/SignACStpp <http://tinyurl.com/SignACStpp>

Dear Friend,

It meant so much to me to have your name with me when I was arrested protesting the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP. (See the papers drop from my hands on the Democracy Now video <http://www.democracynow.org/2015/10/6/breast_cancer_patient_arrested_for_protesting>  -- the police returned the papers to me, so I had you with me in jail while they processed me!) I send you my heartfelt gratitude for being with me, and for taking a stand against the TPP by supporting www.tppkills.org <http://www.tppkills.org/>.

Unfortunately, the final text only reduced the TPP's "death sentence clause" from 12 to 5-8 years. What does that mean?

* In the US, the TPP would lock in policies which foster obscenely high prices for biological medicines, many of which cost over $100,000 a year. These prices prevent some patients from getting the medicine they need to stay alive

* Outside the US, the TPP would new policies will keep life saving meds out of hands of cancer and other patients by delaying affordable generics and biosimulars.

So I am continuing to urge cancer patients, survivors and loved ones to join the movement to oppose the TPP and to protest.

Please consider signing this letter from cancer patients, survivors, our loved ones and health professionals to the American Cancer Society, which respectfully urges this politically influential organization to join our opposition to the TPP, which we will deliver on World Cancer Day. http://tinyurl.com/SignACStpp <http://tinyurl.com/SignACStpp>

And, if you are in the DC area, please join me and other cancer patients and loved ones on World Cancer Day to protest the TPP and promote access to cancer meds at the offices of PhRMA, the lobbyists who pushed for provisions in the TPP that could be a death sentence for cancer patients needing access to affordable medicines.  At the end of the rally, a small group of us will risk arrest to let everyone know: NO TPP Death Sentence.  http://tinyurl.com/PharmaFeb4 <http://tinyurl.com/PharmaFeb4>.

Congress must reject the TPP. Let's fight like our lives depend on it.

With Deepest Gratitude and Love,

Zahara Heckscher

@ZaharaHeckscher