[CTC] After TPP Signing, USTR To Lobby Congress Through 4 Avenues

Dolan, Mike MDolan at teamster.org
Wed Feb 3 05:06:08 PST 2016

Daily News
After TPP Signing, USTR To Engage With Congress Through Four Avenues
February 03, 2016

On the eve of the formal signing of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Tuesday (Feb. 2) that the administration will step up its engagement with Congress on the trade deal in the coming months through four main avenues, in addition to continuing to provide lawmakers information about the agreement.

The first avenue is through "meetings and hearings with members and committee on our trade agenda, on the outcomes of TPP," Froman told reporters on a conference call while on his way to New Zealand, where the TPP will be signed on Feb. 3 U.S. time.

He said the other three avenues are: providing additional details on how TPP's commitments will be enforced; engaging in "direct work with members of Congress on how TPP's implementation will address any concerns or challenges they've identified;" and submitting a series of reports to Congress required under the 2015 fast-track law, including on the deal's environmental impact.

Froman also signaled that he may raise some of the issues identified by lawmakers when he meets with TPP ministers in New Zealand. "My sense is that we will be spending some time this week talking collectively about the approval processes in each of our countries and the issues that have come up in that context, and I imagine several of us will have issues that we'll want to discuss in that regard," he said.

He was responding to a question on whether he would be discussing the exclusivity period for biologics medicines with his counterparts in New Zealand, as that is one of the areas where congressional Republicans have sought changes. Froman stressed that USTR has been engaged with brand-name and generic pharmaceutical companies to discuss the TPP outcome on biologics and answer questions, and would continue that dialogue.

USTR's weekly press schedule said Froman will have bilateral meetings with some trade ministers in New Zealand.

The first avenue mentioned by Froman for engaging with Congress is an apparent reference to the annual hearings of the Senate Finance and House Ways & Means committees on the president's trade policy agenda. Senate Finance is aiming to hold its hearing in March, after Ways & Means does so.

With regard to providing details on how the TPP commitments will be enforced, Froman has already announced that there will be an administration-wide plan for implementation and enforcement.

A U.S. Chamber of Commerce official said last month that the plan would be rolled out<http://insidetrade.com/node/152290> in the next several weeks, although other sources cautioned that that time frame was too ambitious. The 2015 fast-track law requires the administration to submit to Congress a plan for implementing and enforcing a trade agreement 30 days before sending up an implementing bill.

Froman said USTR will be working with Congress in developing a draft Statement of Administrative Action (SAA) on the TPP deal, as well as the implementing legislation. He said both of these could potentially be "important mechanisms" for addressing the issues raised by members of Congress.

Under the 2015 fast-track bill, the administration must submit the final legal text of the TPP along with a draft SAA 30 days before sending up the draft implementing bill. Froman did not respond directly when asked how quickly the administration would send up the draft SAA, but said the administration would consult with the congressional leadership and the leaders of the trade committee on when to take that step.

However, there are indications that the administration will not send up the draft SAA until closer to when the agreement will be considered by Congress.

Froman stressed that the administration wants Congress to approve the TPP agreement as soon as possible, without giving a concrete timeline. At the same time, Froman signaled that the administration would not force a vote before Congress is ready by acknowledging that it would take into account political dynamics. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has said Congress should not consider TPP before the November election.

"So we are working with Congress to move this ahead as soon as possible, but obviously consistent with the political dynamics and the most conducive window for getting it approved, and we'll be consulting very closely with them on when and how to do that," Froman said.

Under the 2015 fast-track law, the administration is required to submit to Congress reports on the TPP's impact on the environment, U.S. employment and labor rights no later than the time it submits the final legal text.

Michael F. Dolan, J.D.
Legislative Representative
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Desk  202.624.6891