[CTC] The Hill: Vulnerable senator comes out against Obama trade pact

Fred Heutte phred at sunlightdata.com
Thu Feb 4 14:09:04 PST 2016

[The former USTR!! -- fh]

----------------

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/268272-vulnerable-senator-comes-out-
against-obama-trade-pact

Vulnerable senator comes out against Obama trade pact

By Alexander Bolton - 02/04/16 04:04 PM EST

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) on Thursday announced his opposition to President
Obama’s landmark Pacific Rim trade agreement.

Portman, who is considered vulnerable this year in his reelection race,
said he cannot support the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) in its current
form.

“From currency manipulation, to rules of origin for automobiles, to
protection for U.S. biologics — we can do better,” said Portman, who served
as U.S. Trade Representative under former President George W. Bush.

“I cannot support the TPP in its current form because it doesn't provide
that level playing field,” he added.

Portman is likely to face off in November against former Ohio Gov. Ted
Strickland. The race is expected to be competitive, with Democrats viewing
it as a pickup opportunity.

Michael Froman, President Obama’s chief trade negotiator, this week signed
the TPP with 11 other nations. It is the largest trade deal in U.S.
history. It would reduce trade barriers across a range of goods and
services.

But it is not likely to come to the Senate floor before November's
elections.

Portman’s statement on Thursday indicates the deal lacks the 50 votes
needed to pass in the Senate. He is the chamber’s foremost expert on trade
issues.

“I will continue to urge the Obama administration to support American
workers and address these issues before any vote on the TPP agreement,”
Portman said.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told reporters that he and
Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) discussed the trade deal with Obama at a White
House meeting Tuesday.

McConnell advised the president that Congress should not vote on the trade
deal until the lame-duck session in November.

“Both the Democratic candidates for president opposed to the deal, and a
number of the presidential candidates of our party opposed to the deal.
It's my advice that we not pursue that, certainly before the election,” he
said.

“The Speaker's a free trader. I'm a free trader, and obviously, the
president is as well. There are a number of flaws here. We're gonna keep on
talking about it and seeing if there's a way forward,” he added.

The trade accord's relatively soft stance on currency manipulation has
sparked opposition from some lawmakers and major U.S. companies, such as
Ford.

“Currency is the 21st century trade barrier and it must be addressed in
TPP,” said Ziad Ojakli, Ford Motor Co.'s group vice president of government
and community relations.

“Ford deeply appreciates Sen. Rob Portman’s view that real free trade
requires enforcement of existing rules that prohibit currency
manipulation,” Ojakli said.

“His leadership on trade supports the future of American manufacturing and
Ohio jobs.”

Ford wants negotiators to add tougher language cracking down on currency
manipulation.

Vicki Needham contributed.