[CTC] Hatch encouraged by former Australian trade minister's comments on biologics

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Wed Feb 24 07:40:02 PST 2016

POLITICO
Hatch encouraged by former Australian trade minister's comments on biologics

By Victoria Guida
02/23/2016 02:51 PM EDT

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch said he was encouraged by Andrew Robb's comments to POLITICO Pro about the level of protection biological drugs would receive in his country under the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

The former Australian trade minister, who negotiated the deal on his country's behalf, told POLITICO Pro over the weekend that he was confident TPP would provide at least eight years of market protection for biologics, and potentially as long as 12 to 17 years in Australia's case. If that could be put in writing and agreed upon by everyone, Hatch indicated he could be more interested in supporting the trade deal.

"It's certainly a good offer," Hatch told POLITICO after the weekly Senate caucus lunches. "We'll just have to see. I'll have to look at it and how they word it and everything else, but it sounds like they're moving in the right direction."

But he said it wouldn't be enough "without everybody else agreeing to it, too."