[CTC] Larry Summers Skeptical of TPP Passage This Year

Dolan, Mike MDolan at teamster.org
Wed Jan 27 13:14:11 PST 2016

[Bloomberg Government]

Larry Summers Skeptical of TPP Passage This Year<https://www.bgov.com/news_item/ju-YN_FUIsDRQW788qugzQ?ni_source=AlertEmail&ni_name=NewsAlert>
January 25, 2016 02:08PM ET | Bloomberg First Word

(Bloomberg) -- Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers<http://www.bgov.com/company_people/1493503> says Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal unlikely to be approved this year.

  *   Summers notes that 4 candidates leading in polls for presidential nominations -- Republicans Sen. Ted Cruz<http://www.bgov.com/us_legislators/BB127820> and Donald Trump<http://www.bgov.com/company_people/1252249>, Democrats Hillary Clinton<http://www.bgov.com/us_legislators/BB9401> and Sen. Bernie Sanders<http://www.bgov.com/us_legislators/BB549> -- all oppose TPP
     *   “I would like nothing better than to be wrong, but I’m finding it difficult to envision the scenario in which a new president signals to Congress that they want to see TPP passed during the lame duck,” Summers says at Council on Foreign Relations in NYC
  *   Most likely “positive” scenario for TPP is that new president shifts his or her position on trade deal and there’s some sort of renegotiation that “provides a basis for moving forward” with it
  *   Summers puts odds of TPP eventually being approved as “reasonably good”
See related story: Chamber’s Donohue Predicts TPP Passage in ‘Lame Duck’ Session<http://www.bgov.com/news_item/dT6xiarTYrYuoKRM8KE3gw>

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Chipman in Washington at kchipman at bloomberg.net<mailto:kchipman at bloomberg.net> To contact the editor responsible for this story: Derek Wallbank at dwallbank at bloomberg.net<mailto:dwallbank at bloomberg.net>

News Alert
BGOV First Word: Trade
Relevance: LOW
Topics And: First Word Washington DC