[CTC] State Department Official Says Cambodia Could Join TPP

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue Jun 14 08:45:44 PDT 2016

INSIDE US TRADE
State Department Official Says Cambodia Could Join TPP <http://insidetrade.com/trade/state-department-official-says-cambodia-could-join-tpp>
Catherine Novelli, the under secretary of state for economic growth, energy and the environment, last week said the U.S. is interested in Cambodia joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

During a visit with Cambodian government and business officials in Phnom Penh on June 10, Novelli discussed the broader U.S.-Cambodia relationship and noted the U.S. is the country's top trade partner. She also said the U.S. is interested in a bilateral investment deal with Cambodia – and in having the country join TPP once it has been implemented.

“The way that TPP was originally planned was that we would start with the countries that are the initial countries, but it was always planned that the TPP would be expanded,” she said, according to Voice of America <http://www.voanews.com/content/us-official-cambodia-could-join-trans-pacific-parternership-trade-pact/3374858.html>. “Once everybody gets the current TPP approved and up and running, we'll be interested in having Cambodia be part of that TPP.”

VOA writes that Novelli met with Minister of Environment Say Sam Al, Agriculture Minister Ouk Rabun, “a top telecommunications official, journalists and tech-sector entrepreneurs.”

“I think that our economic relationship is strong, with $3 billion in two-way trade, and we are the top country partner of Cambodia in terms of trade,” she told reporters, according to VOA. “We would like to enhance that, possibly to conclude a bilateral investment treaty as well as find ways to work to gather on practical issues that can really cement our relationship and help bring Cambodia to the next level.”