[CTC] Business Groups Ramp Up Lobbying Efforts For TPP In Congressional Districts

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Jun 17 06:59:42 PDT 2016

Inside US Trade
Business Groups Ramp Up Lobbying Efforts For TPP In Congressional Districts

Business associations are ramping up their lobbying efforts in favor of the Trans-Pacific Partnership on Capitol Hill, as well as in congressional districts, in hopes of securing congressional passage of the trade agreement this year.

“This is kind of the leading issue that business has this year,” Doug Oberhelman, chairman of the Business Roundtable, said during a June 15 conference call with reporters. “When we're doing all we can in high gear to make sure we have every opportunity to get it approved before the end of this term, that's really why we're ramping it up now.”

BRT leads the lobbying effort for the U.S. Coalition for TPP. It co-chairs the coalition with the Emergency Committee for American Trade, the American Farm Bureau Federation, the National Association of Manufacturers and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, all of which view TPP as a high priority, Oberhelman said.

According to Oberhelman and BRT President John Engler, this includes having CEOs meet with congressional leaders on Capitol Hill and in congressional districts. Engler said smaller suppliers for large companies like Boeing, Caterpillar and General Electric are in these districts, and they would benefit from increased trade brought about by TPP.

“Sometimes its important for a congressman who may not have a Fortune500 company headquartered in their district to recognize there's seven suppliers in their district and their ability to have double digit growth is dependent on that export platform,” he said.

Engler also said that BRT has been setting up a series small group meetings with committee chairman and congressional leaders.

Oberhelman and Engler both pointed to low growth numbers as a reason to pass TPP. The CEO outlook released Wednesday by BRT projected 2.2 percent real growth in GDP for 2016.

“But the CEO estimate for barely more than 2 percent GDP growth this year points to an economy that continues to perform below its potential,” Oberhelman said in a June 15 statement. “We need sustained, healthy growth, which would be aided by enactment of pro-growth policies, such as ratifying the Trans-Pacific Partnership and updating our outdated tax system. Absent that, the U.S. economy will continue to be stuck in the slow lane.”