[CTC] Chamber: TPP approval within reach, despite Trump

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri May 13 15:44:02 PDT 2016

POLITICO
Donohue: TPP approval within reach, despite Trump

By Doug Palmer <https://www.politicopro.com/staff/doug-palmer>
05/13/16 02:52 PM EDT

The head of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce said Friday he still believes it is possible to win congressional approval of the Trans-Pacific Partnership this year and expressed hope Donald Trump will moderate his opposition to the agreement as he learns more about it.

"I think ... we're within reach of getting this deal done," Tom Donohue told reporters during a roundtable discussion to drive home the Chamber's support for the landmark agreement between the United States and 11 other countries in the Asia-Pacific. "But we're not going to get anything done until the main event is over," he added, referring to the presidential election.

The 77-year-old leader of the biggest U.S. business organization emphasized the Chamber does not endorse candidates running for the White House, even though it does get involved in House and Senate races.

"I hear mostly concern [about Trump] from our members," Donohue acknowledged. They ask, "'Who is this guy? What do we know about him? How will he behave?' They’re calling up all their buddies that are involved in his business and know him from whenever. I’ve been talking to some of those people, as well."

But "I think it’s been very interesting to watch the metamorphosis of Trump run for office," Donohue said. "He, on a regular basis, clarifies his view as he becomes better informed. ... I don’t know whether he’s going to win. But if he does, he’s going to have to deal with reality."

For now, many business leaders are on the sidelines, waiting to learn more about Trump before they make up their minds on who to back, he said.

"There hasn’t been much support from the business community for either [Trump or Hillary Clinton]," Donohue said. "We’ll see where they all go. Businesses are doing some things that are very, very interesting. They’re sitting on their hands, and they're sitting on their cash and they’re watching very carefully where they’re going to make their investments and when they’re going to make them."

"I have no idea what [Trump] will do with his message. I do know during other meetings and gatherings and visits, he’s been asking people about their views and why trade is significant," Donohue said.

Donohue, who has led the Chamber since 1997, said he believes Clinton will come around to support the agreement if she is elected president.

"Her primary supporters, the unions, are opposed to trade. But when you walk into the White House and sit in that chair, all of that changes. You’ve got to make the trains run. Nobody else is going to do it," Donohue said.

The business leader said his group was working at the state and district level to build support for the agreement if and when Congress decides to vote on the pact. Many believe the most likely opportunity is in a lame duck session after the election.

"We’re very, very much committed to this," Donohue said, noting that a simple majority in both the House and Senate is all that's needed to win approval of the pact. "Everybody else can have a free walk. "

The Chamber strongly opposes renegotiating the TPP agreement to deal with concerns expressed by the pharmaceutical and financial services agreement about certain provisions. But it's important that Congress and the administration move quickly to resolve those concerns to set the stage for a vote before the end of the year, Donohue said.