[CTC] Sanders, DeLauro ready for 'relentless' TPP push by White House

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Wed Sep 14 08:55:26 PDT 2016

POLITICO

Sanders, DeLauro ready for 'relentless' TPP push by White House

By Adam Behsudi
09/14/2016 11:24 AM EDT

Congressional opponents of the TPP are confident the White House is preparing its push and will stop at nothing to get the votes needed to pass the agreement during the lame-duck session.

"We understand the history of trade agreements," Sen. Bernie Sanders <http://go.politicoemail.com/?qs=35a9e204041efc6d94b2312de700bdaf8c4424fcff1265ac5fcc107c6c233c86> said at a press conference at the Capitol today. "I remember as a member of Congress getting calls from presidents 10 minutes before the vote."

Sanders and Reps. Rosa DeLauro <http://go.politicoemail.com/?qs=35a9e204041efc6d7722ea2b27aa08eaf6e39e1f204ec9139cc140635a227cd5>, Debbie Dingell <http://go.politicoemail.com/?qs=35a9e204041efc6d5f00088bf54ea0792835b2d51208bf12494060016063261e> and Keith Ellison <http://go.politicoemail.com/?qs=35a9e204041efc6daf6bfe80591411314d8ae5b1262791edcd987466cced260a> convened the press event to draw attention to a call-in effort organized today by labor, environment and other groups that aims to flood Capitol Hill phone lines and social media accounts with anti-TPP messages.

"We feel confident that we speak for a strong majority of people in this country who are urging Congress to say no to the TPP," Sanders said.

DeLauro, a leader of TPP opposition in the House, said the Obama administration is "all in" on getting the deal passed. The effort is evident on the Hill as administration officials and business lobbyists are undertaking a door-to-door effort to promote the deal with lawmakers, she said.

DeLauro said the TPP opposition in Congress is gathering and speaking to members on both sides of the aisle. She said she didn't expect the nearly 160 Democrats who opposed legislation allowing the president to fast track the deal to waver on TPP.

"You should anticipate more free rides on Air Force One, visits to the White House, special events in members' districts to try to gain favor for the deal," DeLauro said. "The administration will be relentless, we understand that."