[CTC] Trump promises details on NAFTA renegotiation within two weeks

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Apr 21 05:56:02 PDT 2017

Politico Pro
Trump promises details on NAFTA renegotiation within two weeks

By Megan Cassella <https://www.politicopro.com/staff/megan-cassella>
President Donald Trump committed today to providing details on renegotiation of NAFTA at some point between now and the first week in May.

"We’ll be reporting back sometime over the next two weeks as to NAFTA and what we’re going to do about it," Trump said in the Oval Office after signing an executive memorandum <https://www.politicopro.com/trade/whiteboard/2017/04/ross-probe-could-lead-to-duties-on-all-steel-imports-086542> focused on steel imports, according to a pool report.

The comment came as Trump shared his dismay over dairy trade with Canada. He said he had not planned to break from prepared remarks to touch on dairy but "the fact is, NAFTA, whether it’s Mexico or Canada, is a disaster for our country."

“We’re going to have to get to the negotiating table with Canada very, very quickly,” he said.

Trump did not elaborate on what exactly the administration will be providing over the next two weeks. One possibility is that the White House could formally notify Congress of its intent to reopen NAFTA, a step that is statutorily required under Trade Promotion Authority legislation before talks can begin.

A draft <https://www.politicopro.com/trade/story/2017/03/trumps-nafta-goals-a-small-shift-from-obama-policies-154789> of the notification was circulated on Capitol Hill late last month, a copy <https://www.politicopro.com/f/?id=0000015b-1c08-dba5-a57f-fe0a11a20001> of which was obtained by POLITICO, but the administration is waiting for Robert Lighthizer to be confirmed as U.S. trade representative before sending a final version.

Lighthizer's confirmation has been held up amid debate over whether he needs a waiver, which would require bicameral approval, because of past work representing foreign governments. Lighthizer will likely need to get the waiver in addition to undergoing a committee vote and a full Senate vote before he can be confirmed.

Congress returns from its two-week Easter recess next week.