[CTC] Finance panel reaches agreement on waiver, sets markup of Lighthizer nomination for Tuesday

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Mon Apr 24 13:59:01 PDT 2017

INSIDE US TRADE
Finance panel reaches agreement on waiver, sets markup of Lighthizer nomination for Tuesday

April 24, 2017
The Senate Finance Committee will reconvene on Tuesday to consider the nomination of Robert Lighthizer for U.S. Trade Representative after coming to an agreement on how to handle a waiver that would allow him to serve <https://insidetrade.com/sites/insidetrade.com/files/documents/apr2017/USTR%20Nominee%20Waiver%20Language.pdf>.

The executive session, set for 10:00 a.m., will include “a separate vote on consideration of a waiver for Lighthizer,” the panel said in a statement.

Democrats believe Lighthizer needs a congressional waiver to serve as USTR because of work he did as a trade attorney for foreign governments.

“After months of delays and unprecedented demands, I am pleased to announce an agreement has been reached to consider Bob Lighthizer to serve as USTR at a Committee level,” Hatch said in the statement. “While I have said throughout this process that I do not believe a waiver is necessary for this nominee, I have, at the same time, pledged my support to working with our Committee colleagues on the issue so long as it was kept separate from unrelated demands.”

Today, Hatch added, “we have found a path forward to consider the wavier and the nominee. It’s past time. Congress and the American people need one official to hold responsible for U.S. trade policy. Once Bob Lighthizer is confirmed, we will have that official. I look forward to advancing his nomination through the Committee for full Senate consideration.”