[CTC] Trump to announce trade policy as critical component of national security strategy

Dolan, Mike MDolan at teamster.org
Mon Dec 18 09:49:47 PST 2017

This Week In Trade
Trump to announce trade policy as critical component of national security strategy
December 18, 2017

President Trump will release his 2018 national security strategy today and combating unfair trade practices and leveling out trade imbalances will be crucial aspects of the second pillar of the White House plan.

The second of four pillars of the plan -- Promote American Prosperity -- includes trade policy as a central focus.

"For 70 years, the United States has embraced a strategy premised on the belief that leadership of a stable international economic system rooted in American principles of reciprocity, free markets, and free trade served our economic and security interests," the strategy says. "The United States helped expand the liberal economic trading system to countries that did not share our values, in the hopes that these states would liberalize their economic and political practices and provide commensurate benefits to the United States. Experience shows that these countries distorted and undermined key economic institutions without undertaking significant reform of their economies or politics. They espouse free trade rhetoric and exploit its benefits, but only adhere selectively to the rules and agreements."

To "promote free, fair, and reciprocal economic relationships," the strategy includes five priority actions: adopt new trade and investment agreements and modernize existing ones; counter unfair trade practices; counter foreign corruption; work with like-minded partners; and facilitate new market opportunities. Priority actions included in other headings of the second pillar include protecting intellectual property, protecting data, and promoting energy exports.

The U.S. national security strategy in Europe also includes a focus on unfair Chinese practices.

"The United States will work with the European Union, and bilaterally with the United Kingdom and other states, to ensure fair and reciprocal trade practices and eliminate barriers to growth," the strategy says. "We will work with our partners to contest China's unfair trade and economic practices and restrict its acquisition of sensitive technologies."

Trump will give remarks on the national security strategy at 2 p.m. at the Ronald Reagan International Trade Center ... [snip]

Michael F. Dolan, J.D.
Legislative Representative
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Desk  202.624.6891