[CTC] Sierra Club Response to TransCanada Dropping its NAFTA Complaint Over Keystone XL Pipeline

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue Feb 28 12:08:22 PST 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Contact: Jonathon Berman, (202) 495-3033 <tel:(202)%20495-3033>, jonathon.berman at sierraclub.org <mailto:jonathon.berman at sierraclub.org>
View as webpage <https://content.sierraclub.org/press-releases/2017/02/sierra-club-response-transcanada-dropping-its-nafta-complaint-over-keystone>

Sierra Club Response to TransCanada Dropping its NAFTA Complaint Over Keystone XL Pipeline
Trump Approved Pipeline in Spite of TransCanada’s Attempt to Sue its Way to Construction

Washington, DC -- Today, TransCanada announced that is has dropped its $15 billion NAFTA complaint against the U.S. over the rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline. The project, which was rejected by President Barack Obama, was recently revived by Donald Trump.
In response, Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune released the following statement:

“TransCanada’s attempt to use a corporate trade deal to sue its way to constructing the Keystone XL pipeline may be going away, but NAFTA rules continue to empower corporate polluters to sue the U.S. government in private trade tribunals over protections for our air, water, and climate. We must overhaul our approach to trade -- including NAFTA -- beginning with stripping the ability of multinational firms to use trade tribunals to boost their profits at the expense of people and our planet.

“Today’s announcement does little to change the fact that the Keystone XL pipeline remains a dirty and dangerous proposal that serves only TransCanada’s interests -- not the American people’s. It was rightfully rejected and it should remain so.”

###

About the Sierra Club

The Sierra Club is America’s largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization, with more than 2.7 million members and supporters nationwide. In addition to creating opportunities for people of all ages, levels and locations to have meaningful outdoor experiences, the Sierra Club works to safeguard the health of our communities, protect wildlife, and preserve our remaining wild places through grassroots activism, public education, lobbying, and litigation. For more information, visit http://www.sierraclub.org <http://www.sierraclub.org/>.

 <https://www.facebook.com/sierraclub> <http://action.sierraclub.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TakeAction&s_src=613ZSCZZ01&s_subsrc=button&utm_medium=email&utm_source=insider&utm_campaign=newsletter> <http://action.sierraclub.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Signup_Insider&s_src=613ZSCZZ01&s_subsrc=button&utm_medium=email&utm_source=insider&utm_campaign=newsletter> <https://twitter.com/sierraclub>
Sierra Club | 2101 Webster St., Suite 1300 Oakland, CA 94612
To subscribe, email media.assistant at sierraclub.org <mailto:media.assistant at sierraclub.org>
www.sierraclub.org/pressroom <http://www.sierraclub.org/pressroom> | sierra.news at sierraclub.org <mailto:sierra.news at sierraclub.org>