[CTC] Dean Baker - Are News Outlets Obligated to Do Propaganda for Trade Deals?

Alan Barber barber at cepr.net
Wed Jul 12 07:11:27 PDT 2017

http://cepr.net/blogs/beat-the-press/are-news-outlets-obligated-to-do-propaganda-for-trade-deals
Regular readers of the NYT and other leading outlets might well get that impression. The one-sided nature of the discussion of these deals (invariably dubbed "free" trade agreements, because no one can be opposed to freedom) is hard for careful readers to miss.We got yet another example with a column[1] warning that Donald Trump may kill the bourbon boom with his trade policy. The piece uses the example of bourbon to tell us all the ways in which Trump's decision to pull back from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and other trade deals can harm people in the United States and be bad for the world generally.Starting at the basics, it tells us:

> "Take Vietnam, a TPP member that increased American spirits imports by 173.9 percent between 2015 and 2016, to $45.9 million, making it the category’s fastest-growing importer. Under the trade deal, the country is expected to drastically increase its American whiskey consumption.>
> "Without American membership in the TPP, a 12-nation pact that created zero tariffs for American products, Vietnam’s 45 percent duty on bourbon and other distilled spirits will no longer be phased out, putting those expectations on ice."There are several points worth noting here. First, apparently, our whiskey exports to Vietnam appear to be doing just fine even with the 45 percent tariff. Perhaps U.S. whiskey is considered a luxury in Vietnam and the people who buy it are not that concerned about the price. I have no idea whether that is the case, but is possible that the reduction or elimination of the tariff may not affect sales very much.The second point is that the implicit assumption in this story is that the people in Vietnam have no interest in getting cheaper whiskey. The piece assumes that they will continue to impose a 45 percent tax on the whiskey they buy from the United States for the indefinite future. This is, of course, possible, but it's also possible that Vietnamese with access to textbooks on public finance, or who like U.S. whiskey, will push their government to reduce the 45 percent tax with or without a trade deal.Finally, we should be asking how people in the United States feel about paying more for their whiskey. After all, there is a limited amount of whiskey that U.S. distilleries can produce, at least in the short-term. If Vietnam and other countries will buy more, then there is less left for us whiskey drinkers back in the United States.
The impact on the domestic price of whiskey from increased export demand may not prove to be too much, but there certainly are examples of cases where it has been large. The Soviet wheat deals signed by Nixon had a very visible effect on the price of wheat and a wide range of food products in the United States. In any case, there can be little doubt that the direction of domestic whiskey prices as a result of increased exports is upward. Is the NYT prohibited from pointing out that the TPP would mean higher prices for U.S. whiskey drinkers?But there's more:

--
Alan Barber
Director of Domestic Policy
barber at cepr.net

Links:

  1. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/opinion/will-trump-kill-the-bourbon-boom.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region