[CTC] MOC NAFTA Statements

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue Jul 18 15:17:25 PDT 2017

Neal, Pascrell Statements on USTR NAFTA Renegotiation Objectives
Jul 17, 2017
Press Release
WASHINGTON, DC – Ways and Means Committee Ranking Member Richard Neal (D-MA) and Trade Subcommittee Ranking Member Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ) today released the following statements after the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) published a summary of objectives for the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA):
Ranking Member Neal:
“The summary of objectives published today raises more questions than it answers. In certain areas, there continues to be a complete lack of clarity or specificity, suggesting the Administration may not even know what it wants in a new NAFTA. And in other areas, the objectives reveal an approach to trade negotiations that looks like the same, conventional approach taken in previous trade agreements – suggesting that the “new” NAFTA might not be new at all.

“The gravest concern, however, raised by today’s summary is that the Administration is seeking to modernize NAFTA without any plan for how it will create jobs, raise living standards, and help hardworking, middle-class families in America. I urge the Administration to figure out its game plan quickly and actually work closely with Congress to make sure that there are good answers for these questions.”

Trade Subcommittee Ranking Member Pascrell:
“Oddly, the President and I were in agreement when he promised to re-negotiate NAFTA to get a better deal for American workers and bring good-paying jobs back to our manufacturing base. But today’s negotiating objectives reads like President Trump is only seeking to bevel the edges of a trade pact in need of an overhaul. In fact, it looks as if he wants to take the contents of the TPP, a deal he rejected in his first week in office, and call it NAFTA. Lax labor laws and low wages abroad and currency manipulation have allowed other countries to hollow out American manufacturing and sap our economy of jobs – so the NAFTA objectives need to put these issues front and center. We need real change in our trade agreements, but the Trump Administration seems more interested in selling American workers a bill of goods while they pursue policies that protect the status quo.”

###

Brady & Reichert Statements on Trump Administration NAFTA Negotiating Objectives

 JULY 17, 2017 — PRESS RELEASES <https://waysandmeans.house.gov/category/press-releases/>

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX) and Trade Subcommittee Chairman Dave Reichert (R-WA) today released the following statements after the Trump Administration released its negotiating objectives for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

Chairman Brady stated:

“I welcome the Trump Administration’s release of its detailed negotiating objectives to modernize and upgrade NAFTA to ensure it continues to benefit American workers. These objectives set an ambitious standard for improving NAFTA and make clear that the United States is seeking strong, enforceable rules that go beyond any agreement ever negotiated. For example, the Administration intends to go well beyond TPP in imposing disciplines on state-owned enterprises that distort trade. Setting such high standards allows us to use an improved NAFTA as a model for future trade agreements, which means that the United States would be setting global rules – not our competitors.

“I’m also pleased to see enforcement highlighted in these objectives, through the inclusion of enforceable standards and strong dispute settlement procedures. A rigorous investor-state dispute settlement process is essential to holding other countries accountable and ensuring that other countries play by the same rules.

“Finally, I emphasize that as we improve NAFTA, we must preserve the advantages that our manufacturers, service providers, farmers, workers, and consumers now enjoy with respect to NAFTA across our economy. Maintaining existing benefits, plus improving our access to Mexico and Canada, will allow us to continue to create American jobs, spur economic growth, and open up new opportunities for all Americans through NAFTA.”

Chairman Reichert said:

“Washington’s consumers, farmers, and manufacturers have benefited greatly from NAFTA, and these gains must be maintained. At the same time we have an opportunity to modernize the agreement to address new issues. The Administration’s NAFTA negotiating objectives set a high and ambitious bar to update and upgrade NAFTA. These objectives would address challenges Washington’s businesses face in today’s digital economy. This includes red tape and burdensome customs procedures, the expansion of forced localization requirements and restrictions on the flow of cross-border data, and inadequate rules governing e-commerce. These objectives would also help Washington’s innovators by protecting intellectual property and support the work of our farmers and producers, who rely on access to foreign markets but face significant challenges caused by arbitrary restrictions and protectionist measures.

“The creation of new markets for American products and services through trade agreements goes hand-in-hand with enforcement, and we must be sure to enforce new and current rules through effective dispute settlement provisions, including the proven tool of investor-state dispute settlement.

“The need for modern trade rules is clear – particularly in light of our withdrawal from TPP earlier this year. We must continue to lead in setting the high standards needed for today’s economy. These objectives will do just that.”
Hatch Statement on NAFTA Trade Objectives
WASHINGTON – Today, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) released the following statement after the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) announced an initial set of negotiating objectives for the United States’ upcoming negotiations with Canada and Mexico regarding the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA):

“Today’s announcement demonstrates that the administration remains committed to following bipartisan Trade Promotion Authority and working closely with Congress to strengthen trilateral trade relations between the United States, Canada and Mexico. These objectives – which will be further developed as the negotiations proceed – are an important part of the public discussion about the launch of the upcoming trade talks among our three nations. However, if we are to truly modernize NAFTA and establish the most advantageous rules for selling American goods and services around the globe, future negotiating objectives must include stronger protections for intellectual property rights, upgraded rules and enforcement procedures for American exporters and investors, and improved regulatory practices that treat American goods and services fairly.

“The announcement today also shows that the administration is building toward an agreement that achieves the president’s goals of growing the American economy, holding trading partners accountable, and making North America the world’s hub for manufacturing, services and innovation. I look forward to continuing to work with the administration to advance a strong trade agenda that will benefit American families, and produce better jobs and higher paychecks for more Americans here at home.”

BACKGROUND: As one of the chief architects of the 2015 Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) law <https://www.finance.senate.gov/release/2015/06/29/hatch-says-tpa-back-on-the-books-marks-pivotal-moment-for-nation>, Hatch fought to secure provisions that would strengthen the role of Congress and require proper consultation between the legislative and executive branches during trade negotiations. Earlier this year, Hatch attended a meeting at the White House <https://www.finance.senate.gov/chairmans-news/hatch-statement-on-white-house-trade-meeting> to discuss the Trump administration’s plan to begin negotiations on NAFTA. Under TPA, after notifying Congress of its intent to begin trade negotiations with Canada and Mexico, the administration must consult with Congress for 90 days before launching those negotiations. The 90-day period expires on Aug. 16, 2017.

Wyden Statement on NAFTA Summary of Objectives

JULY 17,2017
Press Contact:Keith Chu <mailto:Keith_Chu at wyden.senate.gov>, Office of Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member Ron Wyden, D-Ore., released the following statement on the NAFTA Summary of Objectives released by the U.S. Trade Representative’s office today:“I’ve made clear for months what Americans need from a renegotiation of NAFTA - a complete overhaul that includes strong, enforceable rules on labor and the environment and much stronger protections against unfair trade, creates new market opportunities, and fundamentally supports more jobs and higher wages,” Wyden said.

“The summary released today of the President’s NAFTA objectives falls short in two respects.  First, it is hopelessly vague both in explaining how the Administration’s specific objectives will benefit the United States on key topics ranging from intellectual property rights and investment, to currency manipulation and government procurement.  Second, it suggests that in other areas, such as the environment, the Administration is planning to come to the table with watered down versions of TPP proposals.  It is surprising that in key areas the Trump Administration is seeking outcomes that were achieved in the TPP, which the President said was a bad agreement. Even on digital trade, which this administration has touted as a prime area for improvement, the summary lacks the level of ambition I would expect given the promises this president has made.”

“This negotiation is too important for the public to be kept in the dark or for the Administration to be starting out at the lowest common denominator on critical issues.  Before sitting down with Canada and Mexico, I expect the Administration to update this summary, shine some daylight on its negotiations, and set the bar high for American workers, businesses and farmers, as it promised it would.”

 <> <> <>

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 17, 2017
CONTACT:
Bev Pheto/Eric Anthony, 202-225-3661

DeLauro Statement on NAFTA Negotiating Objectives

WASHINGTON, DC — Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (CT-03) today released the following statement regarding the announcement of the NAFTA Negotiating Objectives:

“On the campaign trail, President Trump promised on ‘day one’ to make NAFTA ‘much better.’ But, after seven months, the negotiating objectives released today fall short of the campaign rhetoric,” said DeLauro.  "NAFTA cannot simply be tweaked around the edges, it must be fundamentally redone. Since entering into NAFTA, the US has lost over 910,000 jobs.”

“Yet, the objectives released today are vague on critical policies that are central to reducing the trade deficit and keep good paying jobs here in America, while leaving the door open for more of the same corporate-drafted provisions from the Trans-Pacific Partnership. For House Democrats, replicating the TPP is a non-starter.”

“I will continue to demand that the Administration prioritize good paying jobs, the environment, food safety, access to affordable medicines, and an end to the system that allows corporations to undermine US domestic policy."

Brown Statement on NAFTA Objectives <https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/brown-statement-on-nafta-objectives>
Monday, July 17, 2017
(Washington, DC) – U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) released the following statement today after the White House posted its objectives for renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). In May, Brown released a four-point plan <https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/brown-releases-four-point-plan-for-nafta-renegotiation> for renegotiating NAFTA to get the best deal for Ohio.
“We clearly need to see more details, and I look forward to having further conversations with Ambassador Lighthizer. The real test will be whether President Trump puts American workers over corporate profits once negotiations begin. I will continue pressing the Administration to secure the best deal for Ohio workers,” said Brown.
Brown’s Four Point Plan for Renegotiating NAFTA includes:
1.     Secure Anti-Outsourcing and Buy America Provisions Up Front
2.     Don’t Pit American Workers and Industries against Each Other in Negotiations
3.     Build Enforcement Tools that Favor American Workers, Not Foreign Corporations if the Deal is Violated
4.     Include Workers in the Negotiations
Immediately after President Trump’s election, Brown reached out to his transition team to offer his help on retooling U.S. trade policy. Brown wrote to Trump <https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/brown-demands-president-elect-trump-make-good-on-campaign-promises-on-trade> in November offering specific steps to work together on trade and Trump responded with a handwritten note <https://www.brown.senate.gov/imo/media/image/Trump%20Response.jpg>. Since then, Brown has spoken with the President about Buy American and had multiple conversations with top White House trade advisers, including United States Trade Rep Robert Lighthizer.
Brown opposed NAFTA when it was first passed. He now sits on the Senate Finance Committee, which has jurisdiction over trade agreements.
###

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Statement from Rep. Peter DeFazio on Trump Administration Objectives for NAFTA Renegotiation

WASHINGTON—Congressman Peter DeFazio (OR-04) today released the following statement on the Trump Administration’s objectives for the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA):

“I am pleased to see that the Trump administration took a hardline stance on the unconstitutional dispute settlement process laid out in Chapter 19 of the original agreement. Chapter 19 has wrought havoc on U.S. industries, in particular on the softwood lumber industry, and I have been pushing for its removal for decades.

“However, this exclusion appears to be the only specific objective in a 17-page list of vague suggestions and half-hearted proposals. Working Americans have been waiting for more than two decades to see real, concrete changes to NAFTA, and simply tweaking a few provisions will not do anything to correct the disastrous course this deal set us on.

“I have created the 21st Century Worker’s Bill of Rights <http://defazio.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-peter-defazio-submits-worker-s-bill-of-rights-to-us-trade> as a guideline for the best way to renegotiate NAFTA to provide a truly fair deal for our nation’s workers. These guidelines include strong, enforceable provisions for economic, labor, and worker protections—provisions that are woefully lacking in the Trump administration’s objectives.

“I will continue to watch NAFTA renegotiations closely, and will measure the success of any new trade deal against my 21st Century Bill of Rights to ensure that America’s workers, consumers, sovereignty and environment are fully protected.”

Last week, Rep. DeFazio led seventeen other House members on a letter to President Trump outlining their priorities for the renegotiation of NAFTA. In the letter, the members declared their intent to use the 21st Century Worker’s Bill of Rights as a measurement for the administration’s NAFTA renegotiations and any new version of the agreement to come. To see a PDF version of the letter, click here <http://defazio.house.gov/sites/defazio.house.gov/files/wysiwyg_uploaded/DeFazio%20NAFTA%20Negotiation%20Priorities%207-14-2017.pdf>.

CONTACT:

Beth Schoenbach
Beth.Schoenbach at mail.house.gov <mailto:Beth.Schoenbach at mail.house.gov>
(202) 225-6416

# # #

KAPTUR STATEMENT ON NEWLY RELEASED NAFTA OBJECTIVES

July 17, 2017
Press Release
Urges Administration to commit to a deal that raises wages on all sides of border
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, Dean of the Ohio Delegation, released the following statement regarding the U.S. Trade Representative’srelease of objectives <https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/Press/Releases/NAFTAObjectives.pdf> for the pending renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

“My position has been clear and consistent on NAFTA. In any new deal, we must create a continental compact that lifts workers and raises wages on all sides of the border,” said Kaptur. “The President spoke a lot about trade issues on the campaign trail in Ohio and throughout the Midwest, and he promised a good deal for the American people. Our job in Congress is to make sure he follows through."

“In the coming days I will be reviewing these objectives to ensure that this outline will help reduce our ballooning trade deficit, and provide both stability and opportunity for our workers and our businesses,” Kaptur continued.

Kaptur is a leading voice for fair trade in the House and has long been an opponent of trade deals like NAFTA that harm workers and favor big corporations. Earlier this year, Kaptur introduced the Balancing Trade Act <https://kaptur.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/kaptur-introduces-balancing-trade-act-calls-trade-policy-puts-jobs-first>, which requires the President to address our trade deficit by adjusting our policies with those countries that have a large and continuous trade imbalance with America. Specifically, the Administration would be directed to create a concrete plan to address a deficit with any country with which we have a deficit of $10 billion or more for three consecutive years.

Kaptur also signed on to a letter <https://kaptur.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/kaptur-house-democrats-deliver-nafta-priorities-trump-administration> in June with House Democrats outlining priorities that should be included in any new NAFTA deal.

###

 <https://timryanforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471689-71714780>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday July 18, 2017
Contact: Michael Zetts
202.225.5261

Congressman Tim Ryan Reacts to NAFTA Renegotiation Objectives

Washington, DC – Congressman Tim Ryan released the following statement regarding the Trump Administration’s new NAFTA renegotiation objectives, which were released yesterday. Under the 2015 Fast Track law, the administration must publish “a detailed and comprehensive summary” of its specific negotiating objectives 30 days before formally beginning trade talks.
“As a member of Congress one of my principle responsibilities is to ensure the American economy is inclusive and does not leave American families behind. The Trump Administration’s newly released NAFTA renegotiation objectives are filled with vague overtures making it unclear what will be demanded on key issues, whether improvements for working people could be in the offering or whether the worst aspects of the TPP will be added making NAFTA even more damaging for the men and women of my district. This document falls far short of protecting hardworking American’s across the country. President Trump has continually looked the other way when it comes to promoting policies that protect U.S. workers, and he has not lifted a finger to deal with our national $347 billion China trade deficit. These actions are unacceptable,” said Congressman Ryan. “There is consensus that NAFTA needs to change to level the playing field for U.S. workers, but I am greatly concerned that in this important undertaking, the President, by his own objectives, is not qualified to get a deal worthy of American families.”
On June 13th, 2017 Congressman Ryan joined with several House Democrats in detailing priorities for North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) renegotiations to U.S. Trade Representative Robert E. Lighthizer. In the letter, Members requested direct collaboration with the Administration, a transparent and public renegotiation process, stripping special provisions that encourage companies to offshore jobs, fully enforceable labor and environmental standards, and other critical provisions. You can read that letter here: <https://timryanforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471690-71714780>
                                                                            ###

Michael Zetts
Communications Director
Michael.Zetts at mail.house.gov <mailto:Michael.Zetts at mail.house.gov>
(330) 398-2569

NOTE: Please DO NOT respond to this email as this inbox is unattended. To contact my office please click here <https://timryanforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471691-71714780>
Dingell Responds to Trump Administration’s NAFTA Renegotiating Objectives

July 17, 2017
Press Release
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Congresswoman Debbie Dingell (MI-12) today released the following statement after the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) released a summary of objectives for the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

“In states like Michigan, where the auto industry is the backbone of our economy, decades of bad trade deals have hollowed out our manufacturing base and cost too many hardworking Americans the opportunity to earn a decent living. That’s why, when President Trump made big promises on NAFTA renegotiations during the campaign – to reduce our trade deficit and create U.S. manufacturing jobs – his message resonated with the people I represent.

“It’s now time to back up that talk with action. Like the administration’s original notice to Congress in May, the negotiating objectives released today are vague, short on details and fail to outline how this NAFTA renegotiation would raise wages or create new American jobs.

“This agreement must be negotiated in a way that puts working Americans first, and transparency is critical. I will be working with my colleagues to ensure the American people know what is being negotiated and can determine how these policies will impact their families. I urge the administration to work with Congress on a real game plan that will make our trade deals better for working men and women and uphold President Trump’s promise to the people I represent.”
Norcross Statement on NAFTA Renegotiation Principles
Jul 17, 2017
News Release
Today, Congressman Donald Norcross (NJ-01), issued the following statement on North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) renegotiation principles:
“The devil is in the details here and I plan to hold the Administration’s feet to the fire on their promise to make NAFTA ‘much better’ for our country.
“The document lays out the right goals in terms of labor rights, but I am much more interested in the follow through, particularly with this Administration. Unfortunately the plan repeats many of same the mistakes made in the TPP debate, so I remain deeply concerned.
“Any trade deal needs to benefit American workers – and it’s clear American workers have been the losers for years with NAFTA. Our community has lost 19,500 manufacturing since NAFTA.
“I continue to call on the Administration to invite labor leaders to the table and make sure blue-collar American workers will see a level playing-field and see more high-wage jobs coming their way.”
In May, after the Trump Administration’s formal notice to Congress that it plans to renegotiate NAFTA, Norcross stood with House colleagues in calling for renegotiations to focus on American workers <http://norcross.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/norcross-nafta-must-benefit-american-workers>.
###
Contact: Ally Kehoe, Communications Director
ally.kehoe at mail.house.gov <mailto:ally.kehoe at mail.house.gov>