[CTC] USTR Lighthizer at W&M and Senate Finance Next Week

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Jun 16 06:58:17 PDT 2017

Hatch Announces Hearing on the President's Trade Policy Agenda and FY 2018 Budget Request

WASHINGTON - Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) will convene a hearing on Wednesday, June 21, 2017, to examine the administration's approach to trade policy and its fiscal year (FY) 2018 budget request. The hearing, titled "The President's Trade Policy Agenda and Fiscal Year 2018 Budget," will take place at 10 a.m. in Room 215 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.

"As the United States looks to sell more American products and services across the globe, our focus should be on opening new markets for our exporters and protecting intellectual property rights to help maintain the United States' competitiveness abroad," Hatch said. "This administration has been clear about its intent to pursue trade policies that, through close consultation with Congress, will build a stronger American economy and bring real benefits to American workers, families and job creators. At the hearing, members will have the opportunity to hear directly from Ambassador Lighthizer on the administration's trade policy agenda and examine USTR's budget request for fiscal year 2018."
The witness at Wednesday's hearing will be:

·        The Honorable Robert E. Lighthizer, Ambassador, Office of United States Trade Representative (USTR), Washington, DC

Who:
Senate Finance Committee

What:
Hearing on President's Trade Policy Agenda and FY18 Budget Request

Where:
215 Dirksen Senate Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20510

When:
Wednesday, June 21, 2017

10 a.m.

POLITICO: Ways and Means books Lighthizer for second hearing next week
By Doug Palmer
06/15/2017 06:03 PM EDT
U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer will outline the president's trade agenda for members of the House Ways and Means Committee next Thursday, just one day after he testifies before the Senate Finance Committee.
"I look forward to learning more about the administration's plans for seamlessly modernizing and upgrading NAFTA, as well as opening up other markets through the negotiation of strong new agreements," House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady <http://go.politicoemail.com/?qs=f291525ec94e31ce646ef4ecbafb6da6c3f11f0c3c548b5a778c7796cefb8a036abbf788c3069ba175f9324e34825e74c2c3710b069de225> said in a statement announcing the hearing.
"I also look forward to discussing how we can more effectively enforce our existing agreements, including WTO rules, to ensure a level playing field," Brady added. "When our trading partners play by the rules, America wins."