[CTC] Lighthizer on TTIP & TiSA

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Jun 23 06:07:08 PDT 2017

INSIDE US TRADE

Lighthizer: Talks with Europe could resume later this year

June 22, 2017
U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on Thursday suggested the U.S. could reopen trade talks with Europe later this year after elections in Germany.

Lighthizer, appearing before the House Ways & Means Committee, faced early questions from the chairman and ranking member about the status of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, which was put on ice last year before President Trump was elected.

Ranking member Richard Neal (D-MA) told Lighthizer the administration “needs to update us on what their plans are for TTIP,” which Neal said could be a boon to the U.S. if “done correctly.”

In response, Lighthizer said “we certainly agree that that's an important negotiation for a variety of reasons,” but added, “this was not a very good year to get started” because of a “series” of European elections.

Following the “final one” – Germany's, in September – “I think we will talk to them,” he said.

Lighthizer noted he has met with his EU counterpart, Cecilia Malmström, adding that while he was “not here to make any announcement,” he recognized the importance of trade with Europe.

In his opening statement <https://insidetrade.com/node/159250>, Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX) said he was “particularly interested” in TTIP.

Lighthizer: TISA an 'important' deal now under review

June 21, 2017
The Trade in Services Agreement is an “important” trade deal that should not “fall by the wayside,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer told the Senate Finance Committee on Wednesday.

Asked by Sen. Tom Carper (D-DE) for his assurance that the deal will not be forgotten, Lighthizer said the Trump administration is “in the process right now of reviewing all these agreements, all the U.S. trade agreements, and that certainly is an important one.”

“I don’t expect it to fall by the wayside,” Lighthizer added. “We’re doing an evaluation right now across the board and when that’s done we’ll move forward where appropriate.”

Lighthizer was questioned about TISA following his confirmation hearing in March. Responding to a question from Carper, the then-nominee was non-committal <https://insidetrade.com/node/158020> on the future of the deal.

“The U.S. services sector is highly innovative and a key driver of the U.S. economy. Maintaining a vibrant U.S. services sector and expanding U.S. services exports is vital to a healthy economy and a key objective of U.S. trade policy,” Lighthizer wrote in response. “If confirmed, I look forward to working with you to pursue this objective.”

TISA negotiations stalled in November 2016 <https://insidetrade.com/node/156689> after news of President Trump's election led negotiators to determine that a deal could not be reached that year.