[CTC] McCain, citing ‘unanswered questions,’ objecting to unanimous consent request on Lighthizer

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue May 9 12:00:41 PDT 2017

"meaning a confirmation vote on Lighthizer likely won’t occur until May 15"

DAILY NEWS

INSIDE US TRADE

McCain, citing ‘unanswered questions,’ objecting to unanimous consent request on Lighthizer

May 09, 2017
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) is objecting to a unanimous consent request to proceed to the nomination of U.S. Trade Representative nominee Robert Lighthizer, McCain told Inside U.S. Trade.

“I have questions that are outstanding and I'd like to have answers to those questions. That's the way the senate works,” McCain said on May 9. Asked if he is objecting to a UC request, McCain said “until I get the answers, of course.”

Inside U.S. Trade reported last week that at least one Republican lawmaker was objecting to the UC request <https://insidetrade.com/node/158595> by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Without it, McConnell would have to file two cloture motions: One to proceed to Lighthizer’s nomination and one to end debate. Sources said McConnell had expressed unwillingness to spend that much floor time on the USTR nomination, citing other legislative priorities.

McCain said his opposition to moving on Lighthizer’s nomination has nothing to do with a 2008 op-ed penned by Lighthizer <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/opinion/06lighthizer.html> about then-presidential candidate John McCain, in which the now-USTR nominee claimed “Mr. McCain may be a conservative. But his unbridled free-trade policies don’t help make that case.”

Instead, McCain said on May 9, his outstanding questions have “a lot to do with whether a trade representative is for free trade or not or whether they want to be further isolationist and destroy our economy.”

McCain declined to elaborate on specific questions, saying “that's between me and him,” but said he “hopes” to get the answers soon. “It's up to him,” he added. Until then, McCain said, the nomination is not moving forward.

McCain also stressed that he is “not saying I'm opposing him; I want answers to the questions -- that's what senators do, that's the right of a senator, it's normal, it's what we do every day.”

Sources said McConnell is likely to file the first cloture motion on Tuesday night or on Wednesday, meaning a confirmation vote on Lighthizer likely won’t occur until May 15. It is uncertain whether Lighthizer will then attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation trade ministers meeting in Hanoi on May 20-21, but some speculate the decision will be made this week.

Asked about NAFTA and whether he would be in favor of renegotiating the 23-year-old trade deal, McCain said “I think it should be looked at.”

“I think after so many years we should look at it, but NAFTA has been a huge success not a failure,” he added.

-- Jenny Leonard (jleonard at iwpnews.com <mailto:jleonard at iwpnews.com>)