[CTC] Op-eds on NAFTA, COOL, ranching and processing

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Sep 22 05:25:17 PDT 2017

Guest opinion: Why Montana needs COOL again <http://billingsgazette.com/opinion/columnists/guest-opinion-why-montana-needs-cool-again/article_40413b03-f844-5c7c-8864-060b1141e3ad.html>
Billings Gazette
Jeannie Alderson and Nicolai Cocergine
September 20

Excerpt:
Montana has been shaped by the image of the cattle industry. Cows grazing, hardy ranching families working the land and the rough-hewn hands of butchers are all iconic images of our state’s heritage. We represent two different ends of this heritage – the rancher who raises the cattle, and the neighborhood butcher who works in the meat department of your local grocery store. Unfair trade deals have put our shared culture in jeopardy.

Many of the struggles of the American beef industry can be traced back to the passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) in 1994. This bad trade deal cleared the way for global meat companies to import large amounts of low-quality beef and mix it with American beef. Many Montanans have probably witnessed the endless streams of cattle trucks pouring down from Canada and wearing out our highways after NAFTA was signed.

NAFTA negotiations and its American beef (OpEd) <http://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article174385541.html>
Wichita Eagle
Mike Schultz and Martin Rosas
September 21

Excerpt:
While many across America have focused on the wreckage of American factories caused by the North American Free Trade Agreement, more families saw their livelihoods impacted by NAFTA hammering America’s beef industry.

As a family farmer in Brewster and a union president who represents thousands of meatpacking workers across Kansas, we can speak to how flawed NAFTA has been for our families and friends.

Since NAFTA passed, American grocery stores and dinner plates have been flooded with beef from Canada, Mexico and elsewhere, which has severely impacted the American beef industry.