[CTC] Trump wouldn't mind separate deals with Canada and Mexico

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Fri Jun 1 13:13:34 PDT 2018

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dolan, Mike"
Subject: Trump wouldn't mind separate deals with Canada and Mexico
Date: June 1, 2018 at 3:44:39 PM EDT

Curiouser and curiouser.

Trump: 'I wouldn't mind' separate deals with Canada and Mexico

June 01, 2018
President Trump on Friday said he “wouldn't mind” signing separate trade deals with Canada and Mexico instead of a new NAFTA.

“These are two very different countries,” he told reporters at the White House, resurrecting the idea of two bilaterals after months of intense trilateral negotiations that Canadian leaders thought were nearly complete as recently as this week.

“I wouldn't mind seeing NAFTA, where you go by a different name, where you make a separate deal with Canada and a separate deal with Mexico, because you're talking about a very different two countries,” he said. “But I wouldn't mind seeing a separate deal with Canada, where you have one type of product, so to speak, and a separate deal with Mexico.”

Lamenting, as he often does, what he believes is a massive trade imbalance with Mexico and Canada, Trump said “it's not going to happen like that anymore.”

“Mexico has taken our car companies, a big percentage of them, and we can't do that,” he said.

American workers, the president said, agree with him on trade – and, he contended, the “stock market” does as well.

Trump also decried what he said were uneven tariffs charged by the European Union and the U.S., saying he planned to ensure reciprocity: “You're going to charge five times, we're going to charge five times.”

“It hasn't been done. No other president every brought it up. And it's going to be done now,” Trump insisted.

As for U.S. allies' response to U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum, Trump said “they take advantage of us on trade.”

“We're going to straighten out trade,” he added. “Trade is going to be easy.”

Asked about his plans for the weekend at Camp David, the president said he would be making calls to foreign leaders, adding: “I'm negotiating trade deals.”

Michael F. Dolan, J.D.
Legislative Representative
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Desk  202.624.6891