[CTC] New NAFTA marks the beginning of the end for free trade

Stan Sorscher stans at speea.org
Fri Oct 19 12:14:47 PDT 2018

This ran today <http://www.thestand.org/2018/10/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-free-trade/> on The Stand, the web site for our state labor federation.
http://www.thestand.org/2018/10/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-free-trade/ <http://www.thestand.org/2018/10/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-free-trade/>

The original NAFTA established a global norm - we would merge our economy into the global economy, blur national boundaries, reduce the role of public policy, and let corporate-centric rules decide who gets the benefits from globalization.

The new NAFTA, called USMCA, marks the beginning of the end of that approach. As we rethink our approach to globalization, we can recognize legitimate national interests without being nationalistic or divisive. We can express our values as a country to raise living standards and improve well-being.

Please share with others.

Stan Sorscher
stans at speea.org <mailto:stans at speea.org>
206 255 4393