[CTC] US Chamber, 200 Groups Launch Pro-NAFTA Coalition Today

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Tue Feb 26 07:15:22 PST 2019

Politico

U.S. CHAMBER, 200 GROUPS LAUNCH PRO-USMCA COALITION TODAY: More than 200 organizations representing U.S. manufacturers, farmers and other industries today are rolling out a new coalition to push for congressional approval of USMCA.

The new coalition will mark the largest lobbying effort launched to date to support passage of the new deal. The USMCA Coalition  <http://go.politicoemail.com/?qs=b6e8bf90ac6997374b3a9886189464469af117aef4074b1f2e3d88652b0a41c5a7f10e5fb2151ebb21b582869701a157>will press lawmakers for "expeditious passage of the agreement" and "will work to educate the American public about the benefits of the new deal," according to a statement that will be released later today.

Who's involved: The lobbying push is being led by various groups including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Business Roundtable, National Association of Manufacturers, American Farm Bureau Federation and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. A range of business organizations and companies from financial services to textiles are involved, such as Citi, Cargill and UPS.

"USMCA is critical to the success of American businesses, farmers, and workers," said Cathy Van Way, head of government relations for major manufacturer Cummins and co-chair of the coalition. The deal "will help rural and urban communities across the U.S. thrive and we encourage Congress to approve this important agreement."

…
NAFTA WITHDRAWAL ON THE BACK BURNER? Amid warnings from economists, business groups, lawmakers and others that withdrawal from NAFTA would be a risky and damaging move — as well as one that could likely backfire in Congress — the Trump administration for now appears to have backed off its threats to pull out of the original deal.

In one example, Deputy U.S. Trade Representative C.J. Mahoney said during an off-the-record conference call with USMCA supporters and interest groups last week that "the choice for Congress is to keep NAFTA or to have an agreement which is better," one participant on the call told Morning Trade. That participant, who spoke on condition of anonymity, noted that Mahoney did not mention withdrawal during the call, which was designed to rile up support among outside groups and encourage them to press Congress to move forward on the deal.

'They hate me': Notably, Trump did not bring up the prospect of withdrawal when he said USMCA approval will "probably" happen despite some Democrats' feelings about him.

"I know how much they hate me, but they have to hate me even more not to get this deal approved. That's the only thing I can say," Trump told a group of governors at the White House.