[CTC] DeLauro Statement on Ongoing NAFTA Renegotiation

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Wed Sep 4 13:40:12 PDT 2019

 <> <>  <>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE <>
September 4, 2019

DeLauro Statement on Ongoing NAFTA Renegotiation <>
NEW HAVEN, CT — Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (CT-03) released the following statement in response to Republican calls for an immediate vote on NAFTA 2.0.

“How quickly the NAFTA renegotiation moves is up the Trump administration’s willingness to incorporate critical changes for American workers. In response to a reporter’s question on whether the process could ‘seep into next year,’ I gave my honest assessment that the changes Democrats are seeking for American workers and people who are paying too much for prescription drugs may take time. As we have said from the outset, we need changes to the text of the agreement to include strong, enforceable labor and environmental standards to stop the endless job outsourcing and pollution of our natural resources. The Trump administration must also take out extended monopoly provisions for pharmaceutical companies that will lock in skyrocketing prescription drug costs for biologics. On top of those changes, we still have not seen Mexico’s proposed budget to implement its new labor laws, nor have they provided a clear strategy for dealing with legal challenges of those labor law reforms from protection unions. They have also not addressed outstanding labor cases. This all goes to show that the renegotiation process is not over yet. I am committed to continuing to work with USTR Lighthizer to make this agreement one that will benefit American workers and consumers.”

“What is dishonest is using corporate talking points to conflate the ongoing NAFTA renegotiation with President Trump’s ill-advised tariffs on China, whose predictable retaliation is decimating family farmers and ranchers. We should be strategically working with our allies in a multilateral effort to rein in China’s labor and human rights abuses, currency manipulation, and theft of our intellectual property—not going it alone. President Trump has no clear trade strategy, only bluster. Senator Sasse should know better than to blur the lines between these two important matters while trying to score partisan points. Working people deserve better.”

###
delauro.house.gov <http://www.delauro.house.gov/>