[CTC] Medical Professionals for Global COVID Vaccine Equity

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Thu Oct 14 11:09:43 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

Do you know any nurses, doctors, EMTs, medical students or other health professionals who’d support calls for global COVID vaccine and treatment equity?  If so, please encourage them to sign the letter below.  Their voices can really help make a difference!

Many thanks,

Arthur Stamoulis, Executive Director
CITIZENS TRADE CAMPAIGN

Online: citizenstrade.org <http://citizenstrade.org/>
Twitter: @citizenstrade

Pls forward where appropriate

Calling on Nurses, Doctors, EMTs, Medical Students & Other Health Professionals
Please Sign the Medical Professionals Letter for Global COVID Vaccine & Treatment Equity

Read & sign the letter here: https://forms.gle/9izHiY6Dqvc5adGf6 <https://forms.gle/9izHiY6Dqvc5adGf6>

Are you a nurse, doctor, EMT, medical student or other medical professional who has witnessed the devastating effects of COVID-19?  If so, please sign this open letter calling on President Biden to use the full power of the U.S. government to increase access to COVID vaccines, treatments and diagnostics around the world.

The percentage of people in low-income countries with access to COVID vaccination remains dangerously small.  The failure to address critical vaccine and treatment shortfalls is causing needless death and suffering abroad — while also enabling dangerous variants to develop that threaten the progress made in countries like our own that are highly vaccinated in comparison.

Medical professionals are asked to please sign the following letter <https://forms.gle/9izHiY6Dqvc5adGf6> in support of COVID vaccine and treatment equity:

LETTER TEXT:

Dear President Biden:

We are nurses, doctors, emergency medical technicians, medical students and others across a range of healthcare professions who have witnessed first-hand the devastating effects of COVID-19.

As we continue doing all in our power to bring an end this deadly pandemic, we ask that you please do the same by using the full power of the presidency to get vaccines, diagnostic tools and therapeutics to everyone who needs them around the globe.

It pains us to note that still only a very small fraction of the populations of low-income countries have received any dose of a COVID vaccine.  This scarcity is not only unjust and guarantees continued death and economic suffering abroad — it is also directly responsible for the rise of COVID variants like Delta that have undermined so much of our domestic progress against the coronavirus.  Failure to address the global need for vaccines and treatments is prolonging the pandemic everywhere.

That pharmaceutical monopolies are being allowed to prevent COVID vaccines, test kits and treatments from being produced in as many places as possible as quickly as possible is particularly dangerous and unconscionable.  To enable an urgently-needed increase in global vaccine and treatment production, we ask that your administration please:

•	Actively cooperate with South Africa, India and other nations to secure a comprehensive and effective emergency waiver of global intellectual property rules so that countries can start producing COVID vaccines, test kits and treatments themselves without waiting around any longer for the permission of pharmaceutical monopolies;
•	Leverage the U.S. government’s massive investment in vaccine development, as well as all its existing legal authorities, to force vaccine firms to share their vaccine-making know-how with the many qualified and capable producers around the world; and
•	Launch and help fund a global manufacturing plan to support the development of vaccine production hubs around the world.

As you’ve said many times before, we are all in this together.  To save millions of lives and restore any semblance of normalcy, the United States must help expand global vaccine, diagnostic and treatment production immediately.  Pharmaceutical monopolies cannot be permitted to stand in the way of your goal of vaccinating at least 70% of humanity by the end of 2022.

We rely upon your leadership on this life-or-death matter.

Sincerely,

PLEASE SIGN THE LETTER NOW AT:  https://forms.gle/9izHiY6Dqvc5adGf6 <https://forms.gle/9izHiY6Dqvc5adGf6>