[CTC] Reuters: No agreement yet on WTO vaccine waiver compromise, USTR's Tai says

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Wed Mar 30 14:25:23 PDT 2022

From: Melanie Foley <mfoley at citizen.org>
Subject: RE: Reuters: No agreement yet on WTO vaccine waiver compromise, USTR's Tai says
Date: March 30, 2022 at 5:20:30 PM EDT

For more context here are Tai’s words on the leaked text:

I'm aware there is a text that has been leaked through some process that purports to be a compromise agreement between these four parties at the WTO. Let me just clarify how I understand compromise to mean. It doesn’t mean that there is an agreement it means that the concept of a compromise is an outcome of a process and I will confirm that there has been a process that has been facilitated by the WTO director general in terms of having a discussion between the four WTO members. So just to clarify when you say that there is an agreement that there has been no agreement and I continue to emphasize the degree to which I as the USTR care very very much about this exercise of consultation and what you’ve just said to me about your concerns about intellectual property and who it’s used by is something that I have heard.

Thanks,
Melanie