[CTC] TODAY: Town Hall on "Digital Trade" featuring Rep. Jayapal

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Mon Aug 7 05:25:59 PDT 2023

Hi everyone:  A final reminder about this evening’s event.  I hope you can make it.  Please help spread the word!  —Arthur

Town Hall on "Digital Trade" featuring Rep. Jayapal

TODAY: Monday, August 7, 2023
4pm Pacific / 5pm Mountain / 6pm Central / 7pm Eastern

Live on Zoom & In Person at:
University of Washington • Kane Hall 225 (Walker-Ames Room)
4069 Spokane Lane NE • Seattle, WA

RSVP Here to Attend in Person in Seattle <https://tradejusticeedfund.org/events/town-hall-on-digital-trade/>
RSVP Here to Watch Live on Zoom from Anywhere <https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GAaTt3e7SAGqzdm4tJJ6cA>

Join U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) and other experts for a conversation on current “digital trade” proposals and their implications for worker rights, A.I. discrimination, personal privacy and small businesses.

At a moment when policymakers are expressing increased interest in the oversized role that Big Tech has in our economy and society, the sector is quietly pushing for binding rules in pending trade agreements that would limit future consumer privacy, data security, algorithmic accountability and anti-trust laws and regulations.

Senior governmental officials from throughout the Pacific Rim are currently gathered in Seattle for a “Digital Month” as part of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings. This town hall provides a public platform to labor, civil rights, consumer and other constituencies that have views on “digital trade” that differ greatly from those of Big Tech lobbyists.

In addition to Rep. Jayapal, participants include Lori Wallach of Rethink Trade, Cherika Carter of the Washington State Labor Council, Jen Lee of ACLU Washington, Josua Mata of SENTRO and Julie Bouanna of the Washington Fair Trade Coalition.

Click here to attend in person at the University of Washington <https://tradejusticeedfund.org/events/town-hall-on-digital-trade/> or watch the livestream and join the realtime conversation by RSVPing here. <https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GAaTt3e7SAGqzdm4tJJ6cA>