[CTC] Brown Successfully Pushes to Remove the Trade Pillar from IPEF

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Thu Nov 16 06:29:00 PST 2023

https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/brown-successfully-pushes-biden-administration-to-remove-the-trade-pillar-from-the-indo-pacific-economic-framework

NOVEMBER 15, 2023
BROWN SUCCESSFULLY PUSHES BIDEN ADMINISTRATION TO REMOVE THE TRADE PILLAR FROM THE INDO-PACIFIC ECONOMIC FRAMEWORK
Following Brown’s Urging, The Biden Administration Announced This Week That They Will Not Move Forward with the Trade Pillar at Asia Pacific Economic Forum in San Francisco; Brown Has a Record of Taking on Presidents of Both Parties to Fight Bad Trade Agreements

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) hosted a news conference call to discuss his successful efforts to protect Ohio workers by pushing the Biden administration to drop the trade pillar from its proposed Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF), an agreement being negotiated among thirteen countries in the Pacific region.

“I’ve made it very clear that the trade portion of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework is unacceptable, and I’m glad it’s not moving forward. Instead of negotiating trade deals behind closed doors, we should be working to strengthen enforcement so that American workers can compete on a level playing field. That means passing my Leveling the Playing Field 2.0 Act and my Fighting Trade Cheats Act,” said Brown.

Brown was joined on the call by James Proctor, Senior Vice President of Legal and External Affairs at McWane, Inc., an ironworks manufacturer with a plant in Coshocton, as well as Jason Clark, Political Representative for the Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters, to discuss the importance of strong trade enforcement to Ohio workers and businesses.

“From a strategic perspective we all recognize that it’s important to build trade relationships that will counter China.  However, China uses many of the countries involved in the IPEF discussions to fraudulently transship their products and circumvent US duties and laws, destroying US industries and jobs in the process,” said James Proctor, Senior Vice President of Legal and External Affairs at McWane, Inc. “Senator Brown is trying to put a stop to that illegal activity through his sponsorship of the Fighting Trade Cheats Act, and is right to insist that any future trade deal address these issues in a way that prevents China from using our own trade agreements against us.”

“Ohio workers have dealt with the consequences of bad trade agreements for decades. We’ve seen factories close – devastating workers, their families, and their entire community. People are sick of watching their life work disappear because of trade deals written behind closed doors, without the input of those of us whose jobs and livelihoods are on the line,” said Jason Clark, Political Representative of the Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters. “The United Brotherhood of Carpenters appreciate Senator Sherrod Brown’s consistent efforts to include enforceable labor standards within the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework.  As an organization we fully understand and support global trade agreements that are fair to all working men and women.”

Until Brown spoke out, the Biden administration was moving forward with rolling out the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework – which included a “trade pillar” with no enforceable labor standards – this week at the Asia Pacific Economic Forum in San Francisco. Last week, Brown spoke out <https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/sherrod-brown-demands-biden-administration-remove-trade-pillar-indo-pacific-economic-framework> against the trade pillar because it did not include enforceable protections for workers and was being negotiated behind closed doors. Following Brown’s urging, the administration announced <https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/business/economy/indo-pacific-trade-delay.html> that it would not move forward with the trade pillar.

It’s just the latest example of Brown standing up for Ohio workers and working to stop a trade agreement that could cost Ohio jobs. Brown led the successful campaign against the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP), led the fight against NAFTA and the Central American Free Trade Agreement, and opposed normalizing trade relations with China.

Brown has long worked for stronger trade enforcement to protect Ohio workers. In March, he introduced the Fighting Trade Cheats Act <https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/sherrod-brown-tillis-bipartisan-legislation-crack-down-trade-cheats>, which would strengthen U.S. trade law enforcement and give American manufacturers the opportunity to take action against bad actors that engage in customs fraud. The bill takes aim at companies that dump foreign-made goods into the United States. In June, Brown also reintroduced the Leveling the Playing Field 2.0 Act <https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/sherrod-brown-young-introduce-legislation-strengthen-trade-remedy-laws-protect-american-workers> with Senator Todd Young (R-IN) to strengthen U.S. trade remedy laws and ensure they remain effective tools to fight back against unfair trade practices and protect American workers.

###