[CTC_TRADE] Join Rep. Michaud on the TPP Briefing Call Tuesday @ 2 pm EST

Citizens Trade Campaign ctc_pac at charter.net
Fri Mar 12 16:58:01 PST 2010

Will trade talk lead to action?

By VICTORIA MCGRANE <http://www.politico.com/reporters/VictoriaMcGrane.html>
| 3/10/10 5:03 AM EST
Read more:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34154.html#ixzz0hoeMVwHL

U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk will accompany Barack Obama to the
Export-Import Bank Annual Conference.

U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk will accompany Barack Obama to the
Export-Import Bank Annual Conference. Photo: AP

It's a week of Democratic trade buzz - but the business community still
wonders if it will ever see action to go with the words.

President Barack Obama will give a speech Thursday reiterating his pledge to
double exports in five years, as he declared in his State of the Union
speech. U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk will also speak at the same
event, the Export-Import Bank Annual Conference.

Meanwhile, the New Democrat Coalition, a moderate, pro-business House
caucus, has released a three-page white paper setting forth its own trade
agenda.

Among other things, the group said there needs to be a plan to pass stalled
free-trade pacts with South Korea, Colombia and Panama.

"An essential part of a proactive trade agenda is pursuing passage of
completed trade agreements with our allies and trade partners. In 2008 and
2009, American manufacturers experienced a trade surplus of $47 billion for
their goods with the 17 countries with whom the U.S. has free-trade
agreements in place. In contrast, our manufacturers experienced a trade
deficit of $823 billion for their goods with the 214 countries with whom we
do not have free-trade agreements in place," according to the white paper.

However, the three pacts are hotly opposed by many other Democrats in part
because they were signed under President George W. Bush's administration.
While the Obama administration has expressed support for moving forward on
these deals, it's widely believed that the White House won't dare move those
deals before the 2010 election.

The New Democrats' agenda also included support for strong worker and
environmental protections in trade agreements; enforcement provisions for
trade rules; and renewal of presidential trade promotion authority, which
carves an easier path for trade agreements in Congress.

"With the release of this policy paper today, the New Democrats have
reiterated their belief in a robust trade agenda designed to help American
businesses and workers succeed in the global economy," said Rep. Adam Smith
(D-Wash.), vice chairman of the New Democrats and co-chairman of the
coalition's trade task force. "In today's economic climate, it is imperative
that we continue to utilize every tool possible to create jobs and spur
economic growth, and a comprehensive trade agenda is one of the most
powerful resources we have at our disposal."

Wall Street POLITICO is a weekly column looking at issues that drive
business.

Read more:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34154.html#ixzz0hodltKjo