[CTC] Pelosi: Democrats, Trump administration are close on NAFTA

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Thu Oct 17 10:31:46 PDT 2019

Politico PRO

Pelosi: Democrats, Trump administration are close on USMCA
By Sabrina Rodriguez
10/17/2019 12:20 PM EDT

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that negotiations between the Trump administration and Democrats to secure changes to the new North American trade pact are close to wrapping up, stressing that Democrats top concern is enforcing the deal.

“I can honestly say that I think every day we're becoming closer,” Pelosi said during her weekly press conference.

“I think they're going to meet later today, perhaps one more time — and then we should just see. The issue is: Do we have enforcement?” Pelosi added.

The nine-member USMCA working group is scheduled to meet with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on how to resolve Democrats’ four prevailing concerns on the deal’s enforcement, labor and environmental standards and drug pricing provisions.

The administration and lawmakers’ staff members worked throughout the two-week congressional break in an effort to get closer to a deal. But as of Thursday, Democrats were still waiting for a formal response from USMCA to Democrats’ counteroffer.

“We're not there yet because we don't have the enforceability assurance that we need to have,” Pelosi said, but expressed optimism that they’re “on a path to yes.”

The Trump administration, Republicans and business groups have increased pressure to have USMCA put to a vote in Congress this fall. Democrats have said they hope that they’ll be able to get a deal done this year despite the ongoing impeachment inquiry.

Pelosi also dismissed President Donald Trump and Republican leaders’ claims that the impeachment inquiry is stopping Congress from getting work done.

“The people who are saying that don't know what they're talking about or have a different agenda that they want to present,” the California Democrat said.

She added that if she does not provide more details on the USMCA negotiations it’s because of the confidential nature of the talks. Other Democrats have complained about being legally unable to access more information on the proposals being offered.