[CTC] Neal Receives Letter on Mexico’s Labor Reform Commitments from President López Obrador

Arthur Stamoulis arthur at citizenstrade.org
Thu Oct 17 11:01:10 PDT 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 17, 2019

CONTACT
Erin Hatch <mailto:erin.hatch at mail.house.gov>, 202-225-2856

Neal Receives Letter on Mexico’s Labor Reform Commitments from President López Obrador <https://waysandmeans.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/neal-receives-letter-mexico-s-labor-reform-commitments-president-l-pez>

WASHINGTON, DC – On the heels of his Congressional Delegation <https://waysandmeans.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/neal-codel-mexico-concludes> to Mexico City, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard E. Neal (D-MA) today received a letter <https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/files/documents/10.17.19%20AMLO%20Neal%20letter.pdf> from President Andrés Manuel López Obrador that details the steps Mexico is taking to implement its labor justice reform law. Mexico’s Undersecretary for North America, Jesús Seade, personally delivered the letter to Chairman Neal during a meeting in Washington, DC this morning. After reviewing the letter, Chairman Neal released the following statement:

“While in Mexico City last week, I received assurances from President López Obrador of his commitment to the historic labor reforms in Mexico and of the concrete steps his government is taking to implement those ambitious changes. In today’s letter, he put those commitments in writing. I’m very pleased with Mexico’s demonstration of good faith and with the details President López Obrador has shared regarding Mexico’s plans and strategy for implementation. Given the high labor and enforcement standards Democrats require from the new NAFTA agreement, I am eager to receive further details from USTR regarding the Trump Administration’s preparation to meet our priorities.”

 Full text of the letter, in both Spanish and English, is available HERE <https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/files/documents/10.17.19%20AMLO%20Neal%20letter.pdf>.

###